9.11.2006

A Big Week of Firsts

This has been a busy week for us. School started here again, which means my little Emily is off to kindergarten. She was SOOO excited. They have a "phase in", so she went on Wednesday for 1/2 an hour, and we stayed with them. Ridiculous I know, but I spent the whole 1/2 hour choking back tears! Tuesday will be her first full day ... she will love it, but I will miss her so, she's a lot of fun to be with.


I was planning on driving her for the first week, but she was dying to take the bus (several of her friends also ride it), and to be honest driving was a hassle. I pulled into the wrong circle (the one JUST for busses), the Principal meets you at the car and gets the child out for you, but Emily's seat is in the middle (to separate J & J) and blocked by Jane's, so they had to walk to the other side to get her. Jane was SCREAMING the whole time, and I ended up pulling out of the circle and parking on the street to nurse her .... So the next day when Emily begged to ride the bus, I relented.


Emily also lost her first tooth just before school started. She bit into a bagel, and said she saw blood on it. When I checked her loose tooth, it was barely hanging by a thread. I turned to get a tissue to be able to grip it, and pull it - but heard a squeal - she had accidentally popped it out herself. We put the special "tooth fairy" pillow case on her pillow, and her tooth under it, which made her stay awake for ages, because she was "so worried that I'll knock it off the bed in my sleep, and the tooth fairy won't be able to find it." The tooth fairy almost forgot about it, but fortunately her husband reminded her just in time!


As if lost teeth & school weren't enough, Emily also started soccer this week. Here they have to be 5 by August to play, so she hasn't been old enough until now. Rick is coaching her team, and she loves it already (although the whole thing was almost ruined by the too big shirt and shorts, and the "hot socks". She really can't understand why they don't make better fitting, cuter uniforms.) The best part was definitely the ice cream at the end. Jacob was frustrated not to be able to join in too. Rebekah had gone to the lake with friends, but will be able to stay home next week while he naps. Soccer might be easier Jacob free!





Rebekah
also started back at school - eighth grade - WOW! She is only about an inch shorter than me now, and everywhere we go people think she's my nanny (she would argue she is.) She made honors math this year. Since she didn't do it last year, we're getting her a tutor to catch her up a little. She had great grades last year, and we're hoping this is the springboard to AP classes in high school and college credit. I also let her drop chorus, on the condition that she increase her piano practice to 1 hour a day. Also, she started on the high school tennis team. She has had one practice with the team, and reported that she "sucks" - of course she does, they're all high school kids! If she has fun, gets better and gets exercise, I'm happy.


And what will Jacob be doing now that he's lost his darling Emy to play with??? I'm sure he'll find something to occupy his time ....


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

A-hah! I knew it was just a matter of time for you. Welcome to the blogsphere!

Erin said...

Welcome to the addictive world of blogging. That picture of Jacob makes me laugh.

Erin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

Hooray! I was hoping you would join the bloggers!

liz said...

Tania- hands down best first post ever for a blog. I laughed at both the tooth fairy's helpful husband and the Jacob shot! If the tooth fairy in YOUR house almost forgets, then the one for our house will for sure forget!

Emily's hair looks DARLING and those bows are perfect.

Can't wait to see some Jane.

Kathryn said...

Great job. Yeah!
We can't do soccer because of the Aug. 1 deadline, so I am sad. She looks great...

Kathryn said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.