1.30.2007

Justice

So, several months ago Jacob went through a bit of a biting stage. It was pretty short lived (thank goodness), but was followed by a spitting phase. I think because of his apraxia, Jacob seems to have a LOT of spit. He could really be quite gross with his spitting, so I employed the same deterrent for both - a quick squirt of listerine in the mouth. I had a small travel size that I kept at-the-ready. It actually worked beautifully, but I'd figured that even if it didn't, at least he would have fresh breath!

About 6 weeks ago Rick was wrestling with the kids. When Rick wrestles, he doesn't pull punches (despite being twice the height, and 4+ times the weight of the kids) and usually the game ends when the kids are crying. Don't ask me how it works, but they always go back for more! Anyway, this particular time, Rick bit Emily. No, that's not a typo - he bit a 5 yr old! I can't remember what the explanation was - but, of course, it was not justified. We had a family council, and it was decided he'd have to have the same consequence as anyone else who bites in our family - a spray of listerine. Emily was delighted with that idea. Well, I couldn't find the listerine at the time, and said we'd do it later - then of course I forgot all about it.
On Sunday Rick emerged from the kitchen chewing happily. I asked if he was chewing the piece of gum that was the last one in the pack on the windowsill, and he was. EEK - It was Emy's, that she'd bought with her own money, and was saving. He was good, he went to her and apologized, and said he'd buy her a new pack. Today we went to Target, and while there I bought a new pack of gum for Emily. (Because seriously, when does Rick go to a store?) I reminded her that this was the gum to replace the one Dad owed her. She smiled and said "And have you done the spray yet?"

That kid has a better memory than an elephant. Maybe she's just destined to be a lawyer - then again, I think she'd find a better fit as a supreme court judge.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this, very funny, esp. about the gum. I got in trouble with Matthew because I took a bite of his cheese sandwich without asking. Kids know and they remember.

liz said...

oh i love the spray idea! we have a spitting problem here and hoping for the no biting, but now I am ready!

Anonymous said...

i laughed outloud while reading this!!! So funny!

Anonymous said...

I did not bite my five year old daughter, I chewed on her arm b/c I was a dinosaur attacking the baby rabbit! The dinosaur was victorious....but alas the great green mist caused the exstinction of the dinosaurs.