
If you missed Oprah's special on Monday night you missed a great one. I've watched it 3 times now & sobbed my way through each one. Whether you love Oprah or hate her (or are just indifferent) there's no denying that this is a great work. What amazing girls, so many, many trials and unimaginable hardships in their lives yet they are so positive and willing to work hard to make a better life for themselves, and more than anything OVERWHELMINGLY grateful for any kindness shown them. They were all beautiful, and simply radiant. I was particularly touched by Thando & Zodwa.
Watching them, you can't help but compare your own children - knowing that their parents or grandparents love them every bit as much as I love my own kids and are sacrificing to provide whatever they can for them. We work hard to provide opportunities for our kids - but our efforts don't even come close to the sacrifices they are making.
I wondered a lot about my own children - especially my daughter around these girls age - the opportunities afforded her, and difference in attitude towards learning and being willing to make the most of yourself, and be grateful. I have been thinking about this a lot over the past year, and this brought the same questions up in my mind. How do I instill that kind of attitude without making them miss meals, sleep on the dirt, or have no indoor plumbing? Is it possible to come from affluence, and still have a deep sense of gratitude and a good work ethic? How, as a parent, do you facilitate that?
Oprah's special will be repeated on Saturday night, if you want to catch it then (or I have it on my DVR, if you want to come over.)
2 comments:
I think an awareness/ education about how children live differently in other countries is important for us as parents to let me be aware of. It's not covered so well in schooling (for me it wasn't anyway) so I just thought life was so rough when I didn't get lots of guess jeans. ;-)
A lot of people critisize Oprah, but I don't get it. She does a lot to help people.
Love this post, it's something to think about.
Wish I had seen that program.
Post a Comment