You know - the crunching sound you hear as your car collides with another! OK, maybe not THE worst sound in the world, but for me this morning - pretty sad to hear.
I was in the parking lot at the Gap (getting kids summer clothes for our trip). I was backing up to an empty space as another guy pulled out of his. Talking to the insurance company they said they can't assess liability - maybe it will be 50 / 50, but who knows. No-one was hurt, it barely left a mark on my bumper, but kind of crunched the front of his Saturn. Just a fender-bender, not really a big deal, except tomorrow would have marked the 11th anniversary of my last car accident.
Of course, now all I can think about is how much our premiums will go up, and all the other things I would have preferred to spend the money on. Not that I would have - I just like to torture myself thinking about it.
So then this afternoon I started to think about all the happy sounds I love, and decided that these are a few of my favorites ;
* My kids laughter
* The key in the lock when Rick comes home at night
* My siblings or friends voices on the phone
* Waves hitting the beach
* That cute panting laugh/cry when Jane knows she's about to nurse
* Actually, any sound of moving water
* The Star Spangled Banner (tear up every time.)
So really, not such a big deal. I didn't even cry, (and I cry at everything.) I just really would have liked to have made it 11 years without an accident. Maybe I just shouldn't drive in March anymore!
What are your worst / favorite sounds?
6 comments:
great list. way to redirect your thoughts to something more positive- so hard for me to do sometimes.
zane's laughter- a given
I love the squeaky garage door opening when mike gets home.
the jingle of the ice cream truck
the garbage disposal (8 years without one is a LONG time)
birds chirping (sorry- not to rub it in, but spring has sprung on the west)
So sorry about your accident. I listened to the wicked soundtrack for the first time in months yesterday--those were good sounds!
I love your list of favorites!! I can relate to each one. (Including the Star Spangled Banner even if I am Canadian. I have always loved it.) I include:
The laughter of children.
The sound of rain falling.
Beautiful music.
And sometimes...SILENCE. :-)
you are so good at using the negative things that happen to you to make you appreciate all the good things. definitely one of the qualities you have i'd love to emulate!
favorites for me:
my children playing
birds outside (instead of the BQE)
any good song
Julie, I'm Australian, and just took out US citizenship 2 years ago, but for some reason the Star Spangled Banner gets me every time.
Tania, could anything else happen to you? Really. You need a vacation. Why don't you take one...in a few weeks. :)
I love to hear my babies laugh.
One sound I hate: the hissing radiators. Hate it. Hate it. I'm listening to it right now and I'm trying to to scratch my eyeballs out.
Post a Comment