4.17.2007

Jet Lagged




Well, we've been back for 6 days, and I have been remiss in posting about our WONDERFUL trip. I have thought about getting back to the blog - but have been too busy trying to get some sleep.

First things first.

My kids are AWESOME.

They were great on the flights we took. Going down there was effort but it really helped that I had super low expectations of how it would go (read; expecting - all 3 kids screaming for the entire 23 hours, every passenger in the plane hates me.) Really we were blessed (I know I had a whole army of people praying for us.) We were seated next to lovely, kid-friendly people who offered to help. Jane slept remarkably well in her little bassinet, the kids slept OK on & off crunched in their little seats. (The disadvantage to sitting where the baby bassinet is, is the arm rests don't lift up. Learned that the hard way.)

I had bags of activities for them, which they enjoyed and we didn't even need to go to the back-up battery for the portable DVD player. The hardest part was that they really didn't sleep at the same time. Especially J & J. One would wake up, wake the other - then go back to sleep, leaving me with a tired sibling to deal with. I only got about 3 hours sleep the whole way there, but again - wasn't expecting any - so I was OK with it.

I kept thinking about a post Kathryn did a long time ago about being an example of motherhood. I love those kids, and I knew what I was in for when I decided to go ahead of Rick - they were being good and doing the best they could - what did I have to complain about. It was my choice to take them on the plane - not theirs. I decided to just deal with whatever came my way on the plane and remember I love them - it worked out GREAT.

I have to brag a little - as the other passengers disembarked in Sydney we waited to be last out (we had a lot of stuff to move!) As people went past us they made lovely comments. Here are a few I remember;
* Your kids are angels.
* I didn't even realize you had 3 with you.
* What a beautiful mother.
* Your children are just delightful.
* I never saw the smile leave your face.
* I have never seen such well behaved children.....
You get the picture. All in all, I got off the plane more in love with them than when we got on - they were angels and I was super proud of them.
Coming back was a little tougher - despite the fact that Rick and Rebekah were with me. There were also 2 dance troupes on the plane. Picture about 60 teen aged girls in matching sweats, calling to each other, giggling, swearing and yelling for about 15 hours. All I can say is none of us got much sleep and I do NOT love Debby's Dance Company. I am really grateful we didn't encounter them on the way over when I was by myself.
We have had a really difficult time adjusting back to Eastern Standard Time. Rick and the girls seemed to pop right back into it - but Jacob and Jane have not. Jacob keeps waking up in the middle of the night starving, an totally ready to play. Finally last night he slept well. He still woke up, but went back to sleep right away without needing to eat and watch a movie first. Jane seems to be adjusted now too. I've actually not got them all the way back to NY time, I've been putting them down late, and getting them up late since we're going to Utah on Thursday. Rick's Mom is suffering from cancer, and is nearing the end of her mortal life. We are heading to Utah so we can shower her with kisses and say our goodbye's. She is a truly amazing woman, and we are so grateful that she hung in there for us while we were in Australia. It will be hard to say goodbye, but we are thankful to have the opportunity.
We'll be back next week, and I'll start posting news and pictures of our trip.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I'm glad things went so well. So sorry to hear about your mother-in-law.

Kathryn said...

Yeah for the kids! Good tips for our next long flight...

Anonymous said...

We LOVED seeing you all in Australia, your children are just as I imagined, LOVELY but why wouldn't they be with a mum like you? I'm sorry I didn't get to see you again.Thank you for visiting with us ,love you.ps would Emily like to date Abel one day? Who knows??? Fiona xxxxxxxx

liz said...

I also remember Kathryn's post about being an advocate for motherhood. Only I think of it after I had a grumpy mommy day out in public and how I should have remembered her post in the moment instead of later. ;-)

high five for such a positive transit and trip!

Anonymous said...

Hey Tania,

You need to put some more photos up on your blog of your trip. I would love to see some of the photos you took with your great camera.

We certainly loved having you all here and miss you guys so much already.