Jane met all her developmental milestones early. She was early to roll over, sit, pull up to stand and to walk around furniture. So, at 8 months when she was speeding along furniture, I thought for sure she was on the "Emily timetable" for walking (Em walked at 10 months) - or maybe EVEN SOONER.
Not so.
Yesterday at church I was telling all my friends what a big chicken Jane is. I knew she had the physical capability to walk, she just didn't want to. Every time we we try to let go of her she goes all "jelly legs" and sits right down. She'll walk with a walker, or barely holding onto 1 finger - but not on her own. I mentioned that if she didn't walk by Thursday (the day after her 1st birthday), she would be my latest walker.
She probably heard me, and didn't want to be last. Yesterday afternoon, she just stood herself up from sitting in the middle of the floor, and stood (wobbly) for several minutes. We all clapped and cheered, and she did it again a few times.
Then this afternoon, I left Rebekah for 5 minutes with the kids to run a dinner next door -- of course, Rebekah came tearing over with her saying that she had taken a few steps. We played with her all afternoon watching her do it. Very cute. We were all squealing (OK, mostly me) and clapping, she even clapped for herself. She definitely knew we were pleased with her, and she was pleased with herself too!
I am excited to see her walk, and grow and become a toddler, but the moment was bittersweet. There goes my last baby. This feeling is probably why I will breastfeed her until kindergarten!
3 comments:
That's such a great picture of Jane - she looks so cute. I'm glad she's walking - she probably put it off for so long so that you'd have to keep carrying her. I'm also glad your kids are feeling better and that you're posting again - I need something to read at work!
Way to go Jane! (Tan - Jane's card will be late because I didn't even realise how quickly her birthday was coming up. But it'll be on it's way tomorrow!)
that lasagna you brought us is so good. we still have enough for dinner tonight! good thing bek brought her right over so we could all see her first steps! :)
Post a Comment