8.01.2007

My New Favorite Place

I have been wanting to go to Wave Hill since Kathryn first told me about it last summer, but just hadn't found the time. Then, when we had dinner at Blue Hill last November I had this really delicious tea, and when I checked their website, I saw that it was also served in the cafe at Wave Hill - and that made me want to go more.
So last Tuesday, I loaded up the kids and we finally made it. It didn't disappoint. Breathtaking views, beautiful old buildings and absolutely gorgeous gardens.I try really hard to teach my kids about plants and gardens and respect for them (starting in our own garden), but really when I take them anywhere outside, I'm also looking for them to be able to run around and stretch their legs, breathe fresh air ... you know - be kids.
It was pretty kid friendly, and I felt good letting Jane amble around by herself,
No-one told them to stop running,
I knew I was in the right place when we got to the water garden and the worker there didn't stop the kids putting their hands in the water and told them to look for frogs,
which they found.
We enjoyed looking at all the gorgeous flowers and plants, and I noted a couple that I want to get for our garden.
Then we walked through the beautiful shade garden to the cafe (where I bought 2 boxes of Lavender Chamomile tea) and we had a really yummy lunch. Rebekah and Jacob had chicken dumpling soup, Emily had lentil soup, Jane had a cup of organic apricot & apple sauce (the very same one we have at home), and I had a spinach and chick pea salad with a preserved lemon vinaigrette (that I am now trying to figure out how to make.) The salad was huge, so the kids had some too. Chocolate milk for the Little's, and Bek and I had limeade. YUM!
So nice to be able to get some real food while on an outing.

It was a great day, and only about 20 minutes from our house, Oh, and did I mention Tuesdays are free? - we are SO going back.






4 comments:

Emma said...

Looks beautiful - and so close to home!

Anonymous said...

So glad you had a great day...I love it there as you know.

Miss you guys!

sorry about your long day in MA!

Cathy said...

That's a place to put on our list next time we visit NY. It does look beautiful and peaceful.

Dad and I are looking for places to take a long weekend to (even longer) and looking for suggestions.
The TODAY program is featuring America the Beautiful, they had asked viewers to send in their favourite places and photos of them.They picked out the best 10 (according to one of the staff - so Matt Lauer quipped!). They are showing one a week on Thursdays. Starting with #10, Niagara Falls, (I missed that one, but have been there and it is magnificent). #9 Charleston, SC - LOVE to go there. It looks fascinating and very beautiful. #8 Arlington National Cemetery - that was very moving, Dad and I visitied that when we celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary in Washington DC. #7, just yesterday, was Fenway Park, in the heart of Boston. Red Sox baseball stadium. Nearly a hundred years old, the first to be built. Has a lot of history. Talked to people who remember being taken to the games and are still going with their own children. How fun! Looking forward to the next "pick". It would be great if we could go to a game whenever we are able to take a trip to Boston. Haven't been there yet, but would love to. Of course, they show the rest of the city and other things you can do and show you what you can do on $50 a day with each segment. Inspired anyone else yet?!!

Love, Mum



Mum

Brooke said...

This looks like a great place! Next time we come out we will come see you and go there! We really did want to see you--but only had 2 days in NY! I haven't been able to get on your blog since your post of Jacob in the panties--I guess our internet filter thinks it is questionable material??? I just turned it off to catch up on your blog--it's one of my favs! Maybe you could edit out "panties" so I can see if it will stop kicking me off!