9.20.2007

A Perfect Day

It seems the past few weeks have been all about being busy, trying to get caught up from our trip, trying to adjust to school, adjust to new routines, always hurrying somewhere .... Today we had a free morning, and although there were things I really needed to do, I decided to just do something fun with my little kids. I asked Jacob what he'd like to do, and he said he really wanted to see the "ephlafants."
We took Colin (because Jacob was pretty darn sure it wouldn't be much fun without him) and Jane and headed to the Bronx Zoo. The thing I have loved about having our membership there, is that it is so close, and I feel no obligation to stay for any length of time to get my money's worth. We go a lot, and only spend a few hours.
I was hopeful that it was too early in the school year to have any field-trip groups, and
BOY WAS I RIGHT!
We arrived just after they had opened, and were the only one's on the sky-fari, then we were the only one's on the monorail (where we saw the elephants and lots of other great animals) then we were the only one's in the Jungle World exhibit, and then we went to the concessions stand and there was no line! I was euphoric by the time the kids munched down their hots dogs (and apples & water I had brought from home.) So happy, I got them each an ice cream cone - and when Colin instantly tipped his off the top of the cone, the concession stand lady gave us another one for FREE.
The kids were happy, and because it was so quiet, I let them all walk everywhere we went, straying all over the path, and taking their sweet time. The weather was warm, but not humid and the kids were well behaved and listened to my instructions. The only thing they wanted to do, that we didn't, was the bug carousel (we had to leave to make it to story time.) So, I promised Jacob we'd go back next week.
Then we headed back towards home, and to story time at the library. It started last week, but Jacob missed because we had friends from Brooklyn visiting for the day. It's a drop off, and I wasn't sure how he'd feel about me leaving. He happily ran in and sat down. Miss Mary (the worlds greatest children's librarian) exclaimed "Oh Jacob, I'm so happy to see you. Did you know, I used to have your sister, Emily, in my story time?" I hung out at chatted to my friends while he was in there, and then we headed home.
It wasn't my week for driving for swimming, so we stayed home, and Christian came here. He and Jacob played (I am not exaggerating) with Duplo's for 2 HOURS without a single disagreement. Then they watched Curious George, then played happily with other things until Christian's Mom arrived with Emily. Jane sat in her high chair and ate a lot of food (she's kind of shaping up to be an Emily-type eater - so this is rare.)
I managed to finish making Jacob's birthday party invitations while they were all at it - I couldn't believe what a great day it was.
Then I realized - we need more days like this. More days for them, where we are just enjoying each other and it's interesting and fun. This is one reason I love this time of year - we get back into a routine - and for me, having a routine means I can make sure we block out time to play and just hang out. My kids are seriously great. I think this year with Jacob and Jane is going to be really great fun. They are at two of my favorite ages, and I'm really looking forward to more stuff like this with them.

5 comments:

Emma said...

It's nice when a whole day just falls into place like that :)

Corinne said...

Wow, sounds great. It even beats the fact that I got to go to Old Navy and Target ON MY OWN yesterday!!!

Kathryn said...

Ditto your last paragraph...I think it's going to be a great year with a 3 year old and a one year old! So glad your day went well.

Lizzy said...

what a lovely day...especially with the zoo to yourselves (that never happens there!).

Liesa said...

It is nice to hear you enjoying your kids so much. It makes your flights to Utah seem not so bad after all. It is like childbirth. You forget it all too quickly and then decide to go back again!