After I put Jacob and Jane in bed, Emily and I go downstairs and practice her piano, finish any homework she may have, and read together. Then when she gets in bed, I sing her "Emily Kate" (a song we made up when she was 2 days old, and have sung every night of her life.) Then, I like to snuggle next to her, and talk a little about her day, etc.
Her evening routine is just about the only 1:1 time we get. She's not a squeaky wheel in this family, and I worry that she isn't getting enough time with me / us, and so I enjoy the end of the day giving her my whole attention. Last night I was thinking about how much I appreciate her, and I whispered to her;
Me; Em, you know what? I am SO proud of you, and do you know why? Because you are so sweet to your sisters and brother, you are such a good friend, and so patient with everyone. You are great at sharing, and listening to other people. You always try your best, and you never give up. I think you are a wonderful kid, and I'm really proud of you.
Emily; Your breath stinks.
Mmmm, maybe we should work on her developing some tact next!
(Oh, and I did go brush my teeth after that!)
10.13.2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Chuckle...That's something I have to work on with my kids too :)
Hopefully she'll remember the moment when she grows up and not the breath.
That was so funny! We love that girl.
I love it! They get you right when you are vulnerable.
I seriously can't stop laughing after reading this. My kids have done the same! Sweet thoughts about Emily, though! ;)
Post a Comment