12.30.2007

Gingerbread House

We love to decorate a gingerbread house each year. In the past I have made them - complete with stained glass windows, and homemade candy pine trees. Last year, I decided that for a few years we need to use the kits. I had to talk myself into it a bit, and remind myself that this is for the kids, and they don't care what the quality of the gingerbread is, or the magnificence if the house itself. They don't care if it has a chimney, or windows. All they want is to slap some candy on. Oh, and eat candy. And eat frosting.
In few years (it's on my "when-Jane-is-in-kindergarten" list), I'll go back to making them. In fact, I have a vision of a large castle, with 4 small village houses surrounding it .... that may be some years away. In the meantime, the kits work just fine. I was a little disappointed in it's size - kind of tiny for all of them to share, but Rebekah was happy to watch this year (getting so big) and Jane mostly just ate - so it worked out.Yes, I let them lick knives. Terrible.


Jane's contribution.


Jacob LOVES to cook, and decorate cookies. Way more than the girls. He also enjoys a good craft project, so this was right up his alley. So cute to see how focused on it he was.



Not the most glamorous gingerbread house ever - but they sure had fun doing it.
We have a tradition that they can break and eat it on January 1st, although there's usually quite a bit of the candy that doesn't survive 'til then!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see that you are back to normal life. Kids throwing up, Christmas blog updates posted...yep things are fine. Hope you all had a fun New Year's. What did you end up doing. Things here were casual and low key, actually nice for a change. Hope the hand is healing well. Love and miss you Shar

Anonymous said...

Tania,
Emma told me to check out your blog- she says your Jacob is a lot like my little Jake. Sounds like we could definitely swap stories. Your kids are very cute and I am glad you all had a good Christmas. I hope Rick is feeling better.

JJ

Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

Those gingerbread houses are adorable. The kids are even cuter.