This is so easy, I thought I'd post the recipe. Of all things in my cooking arsenal, I am am worst at red meat. I don't like to eat meat much, so have never been that motivated to learn how to do it well. I do lamb well (because I like lamb), but not really anything else. This is easy, because no real skill is required. The long simmering time makes the beef tender. The flavors blend well together, and the touch of cinnamon makes it so fragrant when it's cooking. So yummy on cold winter nights.
This is not the best photo (it tastes better than it looks here) but we ate it all, so I can't take another picture ....
Beef and Bok Choy Hot Pot
3/4 cup low-salt beef broth
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound beef stew meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 1/4 cups chopped green onions
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
2 cups thinly sliced bok choy
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced carrot
2 cups hot cooked wide rice noodles
Combine first 6 ingredients, stirring with a whisk; set aside.
Heat vegetable oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add beef, browning on all sides. Add broth mixture, green onions, garlic, and ginger; bring to a boil.
Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until beef is tender. Stir in bok choy and carrot, and cook 5 minutes or until tender.
Serve beef mixture over rice noodles.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups beef mixture and 1/2 cup noodles)
This recipe lends itself well to make ahead. I usually slice and brown the meat, and store in in the fridge for the day. I chop the carrots, bok choy and onions all in the morning. Then in the afternoon I can just combine everything. I add the carrots for about 5 mins, but usually toss in the bok choy only a minute or 2 before serving, so it stays bright green. I double it for our family of 6, we usually have some leftover for me for lunch the next day.
Not bad re-heated as leftovers either.
4 comments:
this looks realy good...especialy because it has been pouring all day and for the last couple of days as well. I normally order my food online, like from or even resturants that have online menus, but this looks good enough to try to fix.
YUM! I love your recipes. I'm not much of a red meat eater either (though I do love a good barbecue) but this looks really really good right now. I'm hungry!
this looks good and with the right soy sauce could be gf!!! can i share this on my gf blog and link back to you??
Tanya,
tried this recipe on thursday because it was snowing...again, and I wanted some soup but tired of the same old recipes. This was wonderful, and hit the spot. The kids loved it too! Thanks for sharing your fantastic recipe.
:)Dawn
Post a Comment