Our Christmas Eve this year was wonderful. It was different than we've ever done it, and here's why .... although Christmas Eve has always been a time of family, etc and the evening was much the same, we always had our big Christmas dinner on Christmas Day. Then last year, at the end of the day Emily said to me "How come everyone else in the family gets to choose what they want for dinner on their birthday, but I never do?" I felt awful, and she was absolutely right! She should get to choose what she wants for dinner on her birthday, just like everyone else.
This year (and for every year going forward), we ate our Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve. It actually was wonderful, and I wished we'd been doing this for years. I stayed home with the 3 younger one's (watching a Christmas movie) and started cooking. Rick went with Rebekah to get some last minute gifts for the "giving tree" that we were short on. When they got home, we finished tidying up, and then sat down to our dinner.
We used our pewter chargers, and real silver (that only sees light of day about 3 times a year.) I made a version of the salad Lindsey made for Thanksgiving last year - but I cheated and used Brianna's poppy seed dressing instead. (Remember, this year it was all about simplicity and low stress for me.) Baby spinach, apples, craisins, shredded Parmesan and candied pecans. So good.
This year (and for every year going forward), we ate our Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve. It actually was wonderful, and I wished we'd been doing this for years. I stayed home with the 3 younger one's (watching a Christmas movie) and started cooking. Rick went with Rebekah to get some last minute gifts for the "giving tree" that we were short on. When they got home, we finished tidying up, and then sat down to our dinner.
We used our pewter chargers, and real silver (that only sees light of day about 3 times a year.) I made a version of the salad Lindsey made for Thanksgiving last year - but I cheated and used Brianna's poppy seed dressing instead. (Remember, this year it was all about simplicity and low stress for me.) Baby spinach, apples, craisins, shredded Parmesan and candied pecans. So good.
We had planned to read from Luke, then do a nativity play and sing some carols - but the little kids were melting down. Next year, I'll plan to start earlier, so they can make it. So, we cut it short, and just read the scriptures and then bathed them.
Every year, they get new pj's and a Christmas book from us. I think a lot of people do this. I love it. I buy the same book for each of them (5 copies, so we can keep one too.) When they leave home, they should be able to take a great Christmas library with them to share with their families. This years book was "The Gift of the Magi." I think this is such a bittersweet and wonderful story. We cuddled onto my bed, and I read it. I was weeping (and I mean WEEPING) at the end. I always am. I turned to Emily to see her reaction, and she said "Can we go put carrots out for the reindeer now?" I guess 6, 3, and 1 may be too young to get the full emotion of the story. Rebekah got it, but was rolling her eyes at my crying. Oh well, they'll have it forever, and probably cry themselves one day.
Such a great and relaxing evening, being all together.
1 comment:
Reading this post makes me feel quite ready to start staying home for Christmas. We love being with all of the family, but I think this was our last Christmas Eve away from home, and I'm looking forward to it being a little less crazy.
Post a Comment