I had a goal this Christmas, to really involve the kids in the gift GIVING and to try and keep things simple. I planned to do as much as I could ahead of time, so that I wouldn't be so busy and stressed, that I didn't enjoy the time with them, of have a good Christmas Spirit. As it turned out, I'm glad I did do a lot in advance, because we were all so sick. Still, I think even with all our maladies, it worked out well. The kids really got excited about the things they were doing, and I didn't feel stressed out at all.
I decided not to host the cookie exchange that I do every year, and instead had a cookie party for both Emily & then Rebekah. It was great for them to have their friends over, and we did it early in the month, so it started our "season" well.
I joined the NY Botanic Garden, and took Jacob & Jane twice a week to the train show. We've been too sick the past couple of weeks, but it's still on until the 13th, so we'll go a few more times before it ends.
My calling at church is compassionate service leader. You can imagine that this is busy but a lot of fun in December. I had the kids help me with a few things, and then Rick and Rebekah shopped for several items that we needed for the giving tree, food boxes, etc. It provided an opportunity to talk about how much we have, and those less fortunate, and our moral obligation to help them.
Back on the home front, Emily and I planned to make a mini version of the baby towels I give everyone as baby gifts, for the Bitty Baby we knew Jane would be receiving. Emily loves to do crafts, and was very exited to make one.
One night she stayed up late to make it. When I said "The first thing we have to do is iron this fabric" she squealed "I get to iron!" I hope that excitement lasts - in a few years she can do all my ironing!
S
he did a great job with the sewing machine.The kids also helped me make cookies and peanut butter balls to put treat boxes together for our friends and neighbors. I was ahead in doing a bunch of these too - then got sick before I finished them. Rick to the rescue. For 2 nights in a row he came home from work and baked cookies for hours to finish. Then he helped box them up, and took the kids with him to deliver a bunch. I have such a great family.

Rebekah didn't make her gifts this year, but she did go shopping entirely on her own (took the train and everything), and used all her own money (which she has done for a few years.) She was thoughtful in her choices, and had a generous spirit.
Illness hit and we didn't do as much as I had wanted to. Still, we did a lot and I really felt like we made good memories, and taught them some of the joy of giving. I love planning gifts, and wrapping them, and thinking of the happiness it will bring the recipient. I loved sharing that with the kids this year, I'm excited to be able to expand this as they get older.
3 comments:
We loved our box of treats, I think eating your peanut butter balls are a family tradition for us. Colin loved his playdough, he played with it all afternoon after Jacob gave it to him. I love the cherry smell!
I second what Erin said. Your box of cookies was so yummy. I didn't want to share with the kids. And the playdough is so good. Please, please be a Guest Mom and share your wonderful recipes and ideas!
What fun and inspiring holiday posts! I really enjoyed reading about your Christmas eve, your books, your gift making, the cookie parties for your girls, and of course the favorite bath towels! Great ideas, and so fun.
Kathryn's photo idea is cute too. My mom always wants me to do Christmas cards and when I went to a friend's last year and part of their decorations were a series of their Christmas cards through all the years of their kids growing up, I was sold.
Post a Comment