3.02.2008

Snowman

Pretty much, I don't like the cold. We go in and out of our house at least half a dozen times a day. I don't like having to do the whole coat, hat, & gloves on & off ordeal every time, and it costs a small fortune to heat our old house. For me however, winter is worth it for the snow. I LOVE snow. I want it as much or more than the kids. I love skiing, and sledding, and making snowmen. I love to play in it, and how it looks, and the way it muffles all sound when it falls. I love the smell of it, and the taste of it. I love coming inside to hot chocolate and cinnamon rolls after being out it it. I love canceled school, and church, and activities and getting a bonus day home because of it. There's nothing bad about snow.

This year while Utah set records for more than they could handle - we set records for none! Finally we got one decent amount. When you only get one snowfall for the year, you want to make the most of it. The kids went sledding with the neighbors, Sara (next door) filled bottles with colored water and they had tons of fun spraying the snow colors, and Rick got out there and made a snowman with them. They had SO much fun. If we got good snow this year, I would have never had to entertain Jacob at all, I could have just bundled him up and sent him outside - he stayed for HOURS.Making a snow angel. I'm not sure how he knew about these, but he has been asking since December to make one. He finally got to do it.
Jane had to copy. Making her "snow angel", she just rolled over and over in the snow.


Helping Daddy with the snowman.
Jacob spent most of his time shoveling. I'm not kidding - hours. There didn't seem to be any method to it. He wasn't moving it from one place to another - just random heaving of mounds of snow. He had the time of his life.

The middle.
More shoveling.


Emily came home from a friends house and joined in.
It was getting dark by the time they finished but no-one wanted to stop. (Like I said ONLY snowfall of the year.)
Our guy the next morning. Later Emily added her ear-muffs, which was cute.
Man, I wish we got more snow this year.

7 comments:

Allison said...

we are the same way about snow. i ditto everything you just said. and ian is a snow digging fan just as much as jacob. we shoveled our sidewalks, 4 of our neighbors sidewalks and he helped shovel out lyna's car. WE NEED MORE SNOW! just one more snow fall please?

Jeni said...

It's nice to hear someone else's love for the snow. It must be the age because Luke also loved shoveling.........
cute snowman!

#A5 said...

i love a good new york blizzard and was about to lose my mind with the lack of snow. glad it finally came- we spent a ton of time just walking around while the girls threw and kicked snow like crazy. they were in heaven. hopefully next year we'll get the kind that means cancelled church and cancelled work. i love that kind.

i am in love with that snowman- just perfect. and the rolling of jane? fantastic.

Corinne said...

I wish our kids could have been there to play with yours.

Ruth said...

When Karen shows Ben and Eleanor those snow pictures they will be green with envy. Me? I'm just smug that we hardly ever get much snow here - 'cos I really don't like being cold and wet. I must say it's lovely to see you all having such fun in it though.

Brooke said...

Great snowman! Glad you got a chance to play!

Mum and Dad said...

You were born in Australia - of course you like snow! You were deprived of it as a kid. We do remember sledding with you at Wray Common in England - do you remember that? You'd be about 7.

I do think there are bad things about snow. Shoveling for instance. But this year we finally got a snow blower after 16 years in the house. A good decision, as it happened, because we had snow falls about twice a week for the whole winter and it only disappeared about a week ago. We still have patches.

We loved the pictures of the kids. Impressed that Rick would spend a whole day out in the cold!