Every spring we get caterpillars and enjoy watching them grow into butterfly's. This year, Jacob and Jane were really enthralled with the whole process.

The great thing about the caterpillars, is that they grow so fast you can really see a change every day.

Then they make their chrysalis
(a cocoon is for a moth - we learned that at the Bronx Zoo butterfly garden.)

We take the paper out that they've attached to, and pin it inside the net, ready for them to hatch out.

Emily helped with this step - but thought it was gross.


They hatched out over a few days. We watched & waited.

Once all 5 have become butterfly's, we release them. They have such a short life span, I like them to be able to enjoy it out in the beautiful world.

Rebekah took them out of the net, one by one.

The first one flew up to Rebekah's hand.

Jane's turn.



It was on the cool side in the garden, which I think made them a little slower to fly away. We all got to hold them for much longer than we usually do. It was so great for the kids to watch them.

One flew on Rick's sleeve.

Jacob was so careful, and gentle. He was really interested in them.
Such a great experience for him.



Emily didn't want to hold one this year (she's in a "bugs are gross" phase.) So she just watched.

Bye Bye butterfly's!
6 comments:
Beautiful pictures as usual, Tania. I love to see butterflies but I'm with Emily - someone else is welcome to hold them!
I've got to remember to do that...my kids have done it at school but they could be more involved at home.
That's so cool Tania. The pictures are really beautiful. How did you get them to sit on the kids hands?
Yeah, I don't think "Bugs are gross" is a phase... It's a personality type and I am one too! Cool to watch from afar and such great expressions on the kids faces. I love Jacobs expression of pure joy. Your kids would be in seventh heaven where we live. There are all manner of wriggly and creepy things!
I love Beka's cool green stripe....I want a blue one myself but I am not brave enough. .
Our caterpillars finally arrived today, but now we have a camping trip planned for next week. Hopefully the timing will all work out.
I love Jacob's face, too. He looks so in love with them!
Post a Comment