It's really important to me that my kids have a good understanding of where their food comes from. I like them to know how we get it and to distinguish quality from junk / garbage. To that end, I love to take them to Stone Barns whenever we can. I LOVE everything there, and would move in, in a heartbeat if I had the chance.

You know you live in a city when you
pay money & sign your kids up for a farm chore!

Walking up the hill to the chickens ...

... passing the newly shorn sheep (& lambs) on the way

These look just like the chickens we had when I was growing up. They are a Rhode Island red cross. We lived in England, so I'm not sure if they were exactly the same, but just the fact that they looked like them brought back happy memories.

I caught one & held her for the kids to touch her. (Ignore my hair - it's hot & humid here!)

Collecting eggs.



The basket full.

Running in the fields.


The geese.

We told Jacob a thousand times not to touch the fence (it's electric), but of course, he did. It's not a big charge - but he still seemed surprised (moral of the story - listen to your parents.)

The pigs.


Bunny. They used to raise rabbits for the restaurant, but don't anymore. Not sure why - no demand? This one is just a pet. This rabbit probably eats better than us!

We ended with lunch at the cafe. The restaurant is AMAZING, but pricey. The cafe is really great, delicious, and much much cheaper. A great place for the family to lunch.
2 comments:
Busy, busy, busy - best way to be during school holidays! Looks as though they are thoroughly enjoying themselves. My two love those sort of places as well. Four weeks to go until we finish school here and only six weeks off, but I still need to get thinking about places to take them.
When I have a farm your kids can come and work any time. Although all of my chickens will be the old discarded ones that don't lay anymore, but they can still come visit.
Post a Comment