7.01.2008

Medieval Times

Jacob's swimming school uses a pool they rent from a college. There are two big buses parked right outside the pool. I had never really thought about it until then but their mascot - a big black knight, brandishing a sword is painted on the side of each bus.

One swimming day last fall, Jacob asked me who that guy "swording" was.
"Oh, he's a knight."
"A knight? What's a knight."
"Knights are from a long time ago. They protect the King."

I could see the wheels turning in his head, his eyes widened, his expression said "I must know more of this wonder!"
...... and from that moment, he was hooked.

He got a few small playmobile knight sets for Christmas, but really got into them when he potty trained & earned himself a big collection of Schleich knights.

So to kick off the summer and feed Jacob's addiction, we took the kids to Medieval Times last Saturday. We left Jane with a sitter. Kids are free with paying adults, but I (stupidly) forgot to type in the coupon code when ordering online. I called them to see if I could be refunded for the kids. They said I couldn't, but that they would give me a credit to upgrade our seats to "Kings Royalty" package. Front row seats, a photo with the King on arrival, a commemorative program, etc. I think not worth the extra charge, but what could I do at that point - I'd already spent the money.
When we walked in the King said Hi to us, and posed for a picture - I thought Jacob was going to die! He was totally impressed with him, and could barely look at him he was so overcome. SO cute.

Then we walked around and looked at all the swords, armor, etc they have on display, and plunked down a bundle on two light up wand things ("light sabers" - we also like Star Wars) and a crown for Jacob.
The Knights.
Each seating area is divided by color, and assigned to a knight. We were cheering for the black & white knight. The green knight is the "bad guy" - glad we didn't end up in that section!
Jousting.
(knight pictures via medieval times.)

Princess Emily & Prince Jacob.
Just before dinner. Does the look on Jacob's face not say it all?
I think before this Jacob was interested in knights - but it was hard for him to conceptualize that they were real people inside the armor, and life sized, etc. Now he really understands a lot more. He came out of the show with a leap and impressive sword flourish - he LOVED it. Now we just have to keep reminding him not to use any of those moves he learned on his sisters ....

5 comments:

Tara said...

What a cool place. Is that a permanent thing they do all year round?

Tania said...

Tara - yes. They have several shows a week, and a few locations around the country.

Brooke said...

This is all so cute! I love it!

Liesa said...

That does look like fun. My kids would have loved live jousting, so would have Andrew for that matter! Josh just had the Medieval show come to his school and they get to wear the chain mail and try on replicas of the armour etc. His favourite was learning about the gruesome weapons they used. (Do you remember them coming to Hawkesbury High? The same group are still doing it!)

Corinne said...

What a cute little guy. I love how excited he gets about things.