9.26.2008

Lego


Jacob is really into Lego's.
I'm SO happy. I think they are such a great toy, so great for the imagination. We've always had Duplo, but he was bored with them months ago. (Jane still plays with them.) When we were in Utah Jacob followed Alex, his 10yr old cousin, around a lot. Alex has LOTS of Lego. Jacob was fascinated by the things Alex built, and the way he played with them - he was hooked.

I know this is going to be sexist - but I think it's true - it a really great toy for a boy. Now, don't get all riled up, my girls have had Lego too - in fact it's where all our Lego collection to date has come from. Rebekah collected almost all of the Harry Potter Lego -but it was more from a love of Harry Potter, than the Lego. There's just something about building for a boy that they love. I think that there are also fewer opportunities for boys to engage in imaginative play, and this is one way for them to do that. I plan on wholeheartedly encouraging this new interest, and hope it lasts at least the next 10 years!


I love this ad. I see it in Jacob's play.


He really likes the Star Wars Lego. We got him a few small sets, and some that I've stashed away for his birthday. I got the 6-12 yr sets. He can't follow the instructions, of course - even though I showed him how. He does build his own stuff though, and does a pretty good job of it. If he says he's built a car - it does look like a car. He also likes to build spaceships, motorcycles, houses, boats, etc.


Mostly, I think he likes the Star Wars Lego for the "guys."
He especially likes the helmets.

If he keeps it up, maybe one day he'll be able to do this ...

Nathan Sawaya - so cool!

images via brickartist.com

I REALLY want to go see some of his stuff in person some day.
To check out more of his amazing Lego art go here.

4 comments:

sara said...

i love those ads too.

i'm planning calder's b-day party (finally) and it's going to be a lego party! of course. his favorite thing on earth.

Sara said...

Tania, Alex STILL likes the to get the Lego sets for the "guys."

Brooke said...

We have couple of lego fanatics around here too. The trick I am having is keeping them all neat--maybe you will come up with some wonderful idea to share! We love legoland --best kid under 12 vacation we have ever had. Check it out on legoland.com My favorite part is looking at all the cities built with legos

Emma said...

M enjoys the small amount of Lego we own and I want to get her some for Christmas, but all I see in the shops around here is more boy-focused Lego. Where are the houses and town things they had when I was a kid? Maybe I just have to look harder, which doesn't fit well with my the-less-time-spent-shopping-the-better approach to retail.