10.02.2008

Apple Picking at Stuarts

I seriously love October - because the weather in NY is in one of it's brief delightful periods when the days are warm and sunny and the nights are cool and crisp, and because my Dad & Jacob celebrate their birthdays on the same day, and because it's Halloween, and because we get off school for Columbus Day & three days for the Jewish holidays.

So, we always go apple picking in October.
You may remember that last year, I was really disappointed with the circus st out usual place - so this year we tried somewhere new on Kathryn's recommendation. Stuart's Apple Orchard - closer to home, no hoopla, no crowds, a small farm store. Perfect.

It was J&J's first full morning of pre-school after phasing in (Christian preschool, so no break for Jewish days.) I wasn't about to pass up 2 hours of productivity, so sent them in the morning, and all went apple picking in the afternoon. It actually worked out perfectly, since they talked about apples and did little apple crafts that day in school.

We started with a picnic lunch when we arrived. Sushi isn't your typical picnic fare - but I love it and I packed the lunch - so there you have it. The kids liek ti too - they just pull it all apart to eat it & make a big mess - but we were outside, so who cares!

We always love to have apple cider donuts when we go apple picking too - these are from Stew's & were super yummy.
I was really excited for Jane this year, because I'm pretty sure she doesn't remember any other time, and is big enough to remember this year. Rebekah was super sweet with her & helped her get some of the high one's and showed her how to twist them off.
There were lots that were her height, and she had so much fun getting them herself.

Emily picked apples the way she does everything - carefully & with enthusiasm.
She checked each one to make sure it was good before adding them to the bag.

Jacob also picked apples the way he does everything, boisterously and racing at top speed. He would glance at each apple after he'd picked it and yell "BAD!" if it had a worm hole or bruise and throw it with all his might down the orchard.
They were so cute tromping around together. Actually picking the apples doesn't take all that long, but I love to see them wander through the trees, and look for the variety that they like. I like that they find bugs, and run after each other, and eat apples and see birds and changing colours of leaves. I don't know what I'm doing living here, I'm such a farm girl at heart ....


They made sure they filled our bag as much as they could. When I bought the bag, I asked the guy "How much does the larger bag hold." He replied "20" so I got that one. As we were leaving the orchard Emily said - "Mom, we got fit much more than 20 apples in there!" I thought she was so cute, and gently explained that he had meant 20lbs!

My happy apple pickers.

After we'd put the apples back in the car we headed over to the pumpkins. These aren't the one's we'll carve - it's still too warm & if we buy them now they'll be soft & rotten by Halloween. The kids were dying to get some though, so we just got some for outside next to our front door.

Jane was very thorough in her selection...
and checked each one carefully ....
and insisted on carrying her final choice herself ...
which brought her much joy!
Jacob was just busy eyeing the huge rock pile nearby (which he eventually ended up in.)
Emily was looking for one not too big, but nice & round.

We had a great day & have been enjoying lots of crisp apples since then. Here's the BIG news - Emily has even eaten one. She said she thinks she might be starting to like apples - only the green one's. I'll take what I can get!

3 comments:

Karen said...

Wish we had pumpkin patches to go to - we have to pay ridiculous supermarket prices. Got out the pumpkin carving set that you sent me last year and can't wait until we do them.

Brooke said...

Love all the cute fall pics!

Tara said...

All of your kids are beautiful and I just can't get enough of Jane's sweet face.