11.03.2008

Brava Strega Nona!

There are a couple of really great toy stores near where Emily plays soccer. My kids are always delighted when we can go browse in one after Emily's game.

Last Saturday, we came across this book. Of course, I was instantly drawn to it - not only because I recognized Strega Nona - but because all of Tomie dePaola's illustrations are so recognizable. (I think I recently read somewhere that he has authored or illustrated almost 200 books.)

Then I opened it up and literally caught my breath. Rick was standing beside me. In an almost reverent whisper I said to him "Oh, I want this." It was then that I turned back to the front cover & saw that Robert Sabuda and Matthew Reinhart's names were there too.
I was giddy - a trifecta of masters!

Rick looked at the price, then flipped the corners of the pages - "There are only six pages!" he exclaimed (he's not as "into" children's books as I am.)

Oh, but JUST LOOK at those pages -



These pictures don't do it justice! You should see the one where Strega Nona tells the story of Big Anthony & the magic pasta pot (which happens to be one of our favorite Strega Nona stories.)

The story is beautifully simple - Strega Nona shares her words of wisdom for leading a magical life. Each of the six pages is a tribute to an important value.

We have several really wonderful pop-up books (My collection started in 1991 with "Don't Go Out Tonight" by Babbette Cole, which is still one of my favorites.) The pop-up books in our house, are the only one's off limits to the kids. They are on the top shelf. They belong to me, and are read only by me to them. It may seem severe - but I think it actually makes reading them more of a treat. Like they are being rewarded with something when we take one down, and they get to pull the tabs, make things move & open windows.

This book is officially on my wish list.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you buy this?