3.05.2009

Jane Starts Swimming

Jane started swimming lessons!

It's really important to me that the kids are strong swimmers, and we've been going to Aqua Tots with Emily and Jacob for the past 4 years - so Jane knows no life other than watching her siblings swim, and is as familiar with this pool as our own home.

You have to be exactly 30 months old to go in the pool without a parent, and Jane missed out by 6 days on the last session. Ever since then she's been DYING to start and was always asking "Is it my turn yet?"

Imagine my surprise when on her first day she lasted about 10 minutes before bursting into tears and asking for me!

Here's some of her first lesson (red swim cap, blue wetsuit.)
Excuse the jiggling camera, Jacob was on my lap - his lesson is right before hers.



She's done a lot better since then, and hasn't cried (much). There may have been a little bribery involved (we now own a few more Schleich horses ....)

I'm not sure if it was all too much after all the anticipation, or just getting used to the routine, or just that it was suddenly overwhelming - but she had her favorite teacher (Steve - EVERYONE loves Steve) a couple of times and he seemed to help her get over it.

I'm so happy she's on her way to being a little fish like her big brother & sisters.

3 comments:

Jen I said...

How fun. I'm hoping Cash was inspired by watching that video. I'll admit, Ryan put a life vest AND floaties on him once, and now we do it all the time. I was embarrassed at first, but realizing how much attention the other two demand at the pool I realized it was probably a great idea. How nice to have one on one lessons.

Tara said...

I'm sure she'll be a natural like the others.

Ruth said...

So brave! I need to take lessons again because I seem to have lost the little confidence I used to have. Can I borrow patient Steve??