5.31.2009

Butterfly's

We released this years butterfly's on Sunday. In all the years we've been doping this (I think 12 or 13) I have never seen one actually come out of the chrysalis. This time I was upstairs one day, brushing my teeth, and the kids were downstairs with Denalee (babysitter) when I came down they were looking at one that had just come out! I couldn't believe I missed it! At least they got to see it, and we watched it over the course of about 1/2 an hour slowly unfurl it's wings and start moving around.

We let them go after they had all hatched out. I love to let the kids hold them before they fly away. This is always the highlight of the whole experience.

Jacob went first - he was delighted, and (remarkably) so very gentle. I grabbed the camera, and took one picture. I realized the flash was on, and looked down to turn it off - when the butterfly flew away. I thought I'd give him another one to get good pictures - but as I was giving them to the girls, a few neighbor kids came over and I let them hold them - then forgot to ever go back to Jacob for another turn & a better photo - so here's a bad shot of him as he watched it fly away.

Can you see his cute cheeks smiling? What a beautiful boy.

He named two of them. He called them "Vampire, Vampire" and "Colin."



Emily (covered in poison ivy rash) - holding "her" butterfly that she named "Paint."

I think this is the first year Jane has held one. She named hers "Jane."

Trying to give it a kiss. She's such a little mother to everything.

Rick even got in on the act this year.


Maybe I'll get another batch of caterpillars so I can get some pictures of Jacob.
It really is worth recording when he's spontaneously gentle!

3 comments:

Erin said...

colin! great name. poison ivy, yuck!

sorensen formula said...

That little Jane is just the cutest with her curly blond hair! Loved this post.

Mum and Dad said...

Beautiful.