5.14.2010

Bitty Baby Dinner

I suppose you can tell that Jane is the "baby" of the family by the fact that this year her birthday somehow became a three day extravaganza. 

Jane just loves babies - especially her American Girl Doll, "Bitty Baby." So I booked a dinner at American Girl Place for her. I also included Emily, the biggest American Girl fan in our family and a wonderful, gentle patient big sister. The idea was that Jane could choose her gifts from us while we were there & I knew that Emily would make that a more exciting experience for Jane.

I booked back in January. I had hoped for the 15th (the night before her actual birthday) but even back then, they were booked out. So I went with the 14th - a Friday night. As we gt closer to the date it became a little crazy. Their pre-school announced the big year-end celebration "International Dinner & Magic Show" would be on that night AND Rebekah had her Cabaret at school. That day also saw a birthday party for Jane's to attend, and Jacob's Kindergarten orientation AND all the usual Friday stuff. Crazy! Our amazing babysitter (Patty) agreed to come and take Jake to the dinner, I asked Bek to get someone to record her cabaret performances (& promised to be there next year) and moved on to the birthday dinner.

Aren't these two just the cutest?

We shopped a little first. Emily was sweet helping Jane look at all the Bitty Baby clothes, toys & accessories and decide which were the best. They had put a sticker on Jane when we checked in that said "It's My Birthday" - every single staff member we passed said "Oh, happy birthday!" which pretty much made her feel like a princess.


Then we moved on to dinner. Jane loved ordering from her menu.


Emily was pretty darned adorable too. Man I love these girls!


We really let her order her choice.


If this doesn't say "birthday" - I don't know what does!


We take our children to restaurants pretty often. I think it's important. Not super-duper nice one's (those we enjoy for ourselves), but decent one's where they can practice their manners.

Like how to use utensils.


And sit up politely in your seat.
(Yes, that is her foot in her mouth!)


OK, I guess we really need to work on that utensil one.


At least she fed the doll nicely.....


So aside from the appalling manners, which I am attributing to the late hour,  (I swear she's much better than that at home!) We had a lovely evening. Jane felt really special, Emily was a wonderful & doting big sister and they both got thoroughly spoiled.

As it should be on your birthday outing with your sister!


2 comments:

Mum and Dad said...

Adorable! They look beautiful, and how funny. Love those girls too. Happy Birthday Jane.

xx

Karen said...

Ah, lucky girl! She looks so much like Emily in that last photo.