I love gardening for oh so many reasons. One of the best is that it teaches my children delayed gratification. Planting bulbs to wait for flowers a full six months later, vegetables that we will not eat for weeks or months, plants and bushes that will fill a space gradually over years.
Two years ago I planted a lilac bush outside my office window. It is usually too cold or too hot to open the windows of our house - but late spring is one of the times that we can enjoy the weather. I gleefully fling open all the windows and let the fresh air flow through the house. Planting that lilac, I knew that the fragrance would someday fill my office - and this year it has! I have enjoyed it SO much, even with allergies and a head cold in the last couple of weeks! Not only can you smell it in the office, but all over the front yard, up on the deck (where we have an Adirondack chair for quiet reading), when I'm working in the veggie garden and even in the back, if the breeze is blowing the right way.
Another reason I love gardening, is it's work that the kids and I can do together. I feel like I'm teaching them and spending time with them, while still being productive (working on that endless "to do" list.). We all get to be outside breathing fresh air and running around. It makes me feel great when we've all spent an afternoon together in the garden.
This week has been hectic but I needed to spend a little time on the front - clipping the daffodils and pulling the tulip stalks & leaves, and planting our annuals. The kids helped pull all the yellowed leaves from the crocuses and then Emily and Jane played "tiger mother & cub" on the lawn while I continued. Jacob asked if he could keep helping - so I let him use the scissors to trim back the daffodils. (I know I should let them feed the bulb for next year longer but by mid-May I'm over them and want to put in my other stuff!)
A neighbor came by and we chatted for a while about gardens, and dogs, and kids. She mentioned how adept Jacob was with scissors for being only 5 years old..... Then she went on her way and we kept working. I had just finished planting the Gerbera Daisies when Jacob said "Mom, if you cut your eyelashes off, will they grow back?" I have been a mother of a son long enough to know this means "Mom, I just cut my eyelashes."
I'm so thankful he didn't get his eye! My other neighbor was asking him why he did it. I told her I am quite sure there is no thought process involved. He's 5, he had scissors in his hands ....
Anyone know how long it takes eyelashes to grow back? Ironically, he got something in that eye the next two days when we were playing outside. A good lesson in the purpose eyelashes serve!
I'm so thankful he didn't get his eye! My other neighbor was asking him why he did it. I told her I am quite sure there is no thought process involved. He's 5, he had scissors in his hands ....
Anyone know how long it takes eyelashes to grow back? Ironically, he got something in that eye the next two days when we were playing outside. A good lesson in the purpose eyelashes serve!

5 comments:
I love lilacs. I've been thinking about planting one for a few years, but have never decided where to put it until now. So, I'm going to plant one in the fall.
Sorry about Jacob's eyelashes. Natural consequences . . .!
I took a sharp intake of breath when I read what Jake had done! Your flowers are beautiful.
Better the eyelashes than those beautiful flowers - at least the lashes will grow back!!
The garden is beautiful, I'm glad you get so much pleasure from it. Oh Jacob, you do love to experiment! Grateful too that he didn't get his eye and that his eyelashes were so long.
xx
Beautiful flowers. Jacob is a crack-up.
Post a Comment