The "regular" last meet of the summer (before we enter Counties & Conferences) for our team was against Westchester Country Club. I love to go there for meets because the facility is lovely and because they tend to be in the evening when the light is so beautiful.
Jane and her friend Avery had a blast playing in their kid pool.
Jane has several friends who's older siblings are on the team with Jake & Emily and it makes it nice for her to have friends to play with when we are at the (eternally long) meets.
They were seriously in this pool for hours. I was still calling them out of one end of it as the lifeguards starting cleaning the other end!
They also alternated between the beach and playing in Long Island Sound.
{iPhone photo}
{iPhone photo}
{iPhone photo}
W.C.C has a bunch of fast swimmers. Our kids were ready for battle! It's one thing I love about being on such a big team - the older kids really watch out for the little kids, get them pumped for meets, teach them the team cheer, etc.
Emily swam freestyle, breaststroke, butterfly and the free relay (you are only allowed to swim 3 strokes + relays per meet.)
Jacob swam free & backstroke.
He also swam the boys freestyle relay. After that he got to relax, eat and enjoy the beach area too.
Emily was swimming against one of her friends from her winter swim team in her 50yrd breaststroke.
She came in second - to her friend. Here she is laughing and saying
"You told me you weren't fast at breast!"
Then they high fived. It made me so happy to see. I like to see good sportsmanship. I think it's something I see a lot in swimming - but could see more of.
Most of these kids swim through the winter where there a fewer teams and often they travel a bit to get to them. In summer swimming there are many more teams and they usually swim for the team closest to them or whichever country club their parents join. I like that Emily has competed against kids she knows and that there hasn't been animosity between them. I think it's healthy for them to keep it that way!
I am becoming obsessed with getting the perfect fly picture of Emily. These were close (and I love how she looks swimming this stroke).
I'm looking for arms level, face up getting a breath, water droplets flying, perfect light .... keep swimming Em!
The meet was exciting. We were a little behind going into the relays. The team had been undefeated to that point. W.C.C had lost one. The division title was on the line. We ended up tying the meet! Amazing if you think just how many variables go into scoring (the team president said she had thought it statistically impossible.) The tie meant that we won the division title and all the kids were thrilled!
It was a totally fun night and everyone went home happy and looking forward to Counties & Conferences.


3 comments:
Congratulations to your little swimmers!
I'm laughing a little at how white Emy is compared to the other girls. Love those kids!
It's great seeing your kids enjoying themselves. It's also great to see parents supporting their kids. Way to go Tania, I know you give so much of your time so your kids can have these experiences and they know you were there cheering them on too.
Post a Comment