Today was the first day of Counties for Emily. It's an historic occasion because the pool where they've always been held is being closed due to county budget cuts and this is the last year they'll be held here. We're pretty glad she got to swim here for the last time.
I arranged a babysitter for each day this week because any swim meet lasts forever and counties are no exception. They do a different stroke + relays each of the 4 days. Since Emily is competing in each stroke we'll be here Monday through Thursday. One of the parents shirts read -
"If I have but one day to live, take me to a swim meet because they last forever!"
If I wasn't moving in 10 days the time spent at the meet would be less significant. There are people who had offered to take Emily to the meets for me but there's no way I could miss it. I love watching her swim and want to be there for support for her - the move will figure itself out.
So, we arrived a few minutes early because Emily gets SUPER worried if we are late or even close to being late. The kids all got checked in and warmed up. Emily was excited because her friends Nathan & Christian were coming to watch the meet. The boys are twins and they've been friends with Em since they were little. The past few years they've been on the same team but they moved at the end of last summer (same place we're moving to & the impetus for us to look there), so were not on the team this year.
After warm ups the weather started to look ominous. They decided to delay the meet. While we all sat around waiting I took a few minutes to call the kitchen designer & check that everything was going according to schedule on the cabinets - they take the longest to arrive, so need to be ordered first.
It started to pour with rain, so we went to the car to wait it out. I called the boys Mom and let them know it was delayed, she said she'd go get the oil changed in their car & come later. We waited and waited. I was wishing I had brought something more to do.
The rain stopped and we headed back to the pool and they started the first few races. Then there was thunder, so they held it again.
So, we arrived a few minutes early because Emily gets SUPER worried if we are late or even close to being late. The kids all got checked in and warmed up. Emily was excited because her friends Nathan & Christian were coming to watch the meet. The boys are twins and they've been friends with Em since they were little. The past few years they've been on the same team but they moved at the end of last summer (same place we're moving to & the impetus for us to look there), so were not on the team this year.
After warm ups the weather started to look ominous. They decided to delay the meet. While we all sat around waiting I took a few minutes to call the kitchen designer & check that everything was going according to schedule on the cabinets - they take the longest to arrive, so need to be ordered first.
It started to pour with rain, so we went to the car to wait it out. I called the boys Mom and let them know it was delayed, she said she'd go get the oil changed in their car & come later. We waited and waited. I was wishing I had brought something more to do.
The rain stopped and we headed back to the pool and they started the first few races. Then there was thunder, so they held it again.
Finally they "called it" and decided the weather was not going to co-operate. It was 6:15pm and we'd been there for over 3 hours without swimming a single event. I called the boys again to see if they just wanted to meet us for dinner but they had grabbed food while waiting for their oil change. Emily was disappointed. They were leaving for vacation the next day, so wouldn't be able to attend any of the other meet days.
So, a frustrating non-meet. Not such a big deal, except if they decide to hold Mondays events on Friday - we are moving on Friday!
So, a frustrating non-meet. Not such a big deal, except if they decide to hold Mondays events on Friday - we are moving on Friday!

1 comment:
What a frustrating day when you had so many other things to do. Disappointing for Emily that the boys didn't make it.
Post a Comment