(1) No leaving (get your drink & go to the bathroom beforehand!)
(2) If you can read, you sing the hymns.
(3) Quietly coloring is allowed for kids under 12 but only AFTER the Sacrament has been passed.
On #3 - I figure that they can sit quietly and listen to the announcements and start of the meeting for the first 15 minutes or so. It's good practice for when they are older and will need to be reverent for the entire meeting.
I used to take the crayons & notebooks but now Rick is in Primary he has the bag of stuff & has been packing them. Today when we sat down he handed them out right at the start (after 7 years on the High Council in our old stake, sitting with us in Sacrament meeting is new to him!) I reminded the kids "Not until after the Sacrament has been passed." Of course, my strong willed little girl wanted to push the boundary just as much as she possibly could, so started flipping though her book & turning pages.
"Jane" I whispered "if you can't keep that quietly on your lap, I'll have to take it."
"No, I like looking at it." she told me and continued to flip through it. I reached over to take it from her and she held onto it and pulled away. I quietly & firmly told her I was taking it because she couldn't hold it still in her lap. I pulled it out of her hands and put it under my seat. I looked over at her and she had big tears rolling down her face.
Right then they were saying the Sacrament prayer so I pulled her into my lap and cuddled her. As the young men passed the bread I silently prayed to my Father in Heaven to help me with this child he has entrusted me with. She is so strong willed, so stubborn and determined. Some days I am just exhausted navigating her emotions and our battle of the wills. I explained that I worried for her teenage years and the challenges we may face then. I asked for help in meeting her needs and teaching her, for more patience, more energy and more than anything to know what her unique need are.
Oh how I love this girl and want to do what is best for her!
As I sat cradling her and pouring my heart out, asking my Father in Heaven how best to partner with Him in teaching her, the sweetest spirit came over me and the words "STEADFAST AND IMMOVABLE" came to my mind. What an epiphany! I felt comfort and encouragement. Tears welled in my eyes as I realized that this sweet and spunky little girl can be a powerful force for good in the world. She can be a righteous influence amongst her peers. That unwavering will can become steadfast and immovable and serve her well when the ills of the world swirl around her.
It was a sweet, tender moment.
I am so grateful that I know I have the Lord to turn to as I raise these spirits of His. For the access I have to Him through prayer and the comfort and insight it can give me as a mother.
I am going to make sure that this scripture is on her wall, to remind me of that sweet inspiration as I parent her and to let her know that it is special for her.
"Therefore, I would that ye should be steadfast and immovable,
always abounding in good works."
Mosiah 5:15
I had the lovely and talented Apryl Stott (who did Jane's birth announcement) create this for her to hang in her room and remind us of this experience.
I am also so truly grateful to my "Janie Baby" and her lively influence in our home.
We really would not be without her for anything!
We really would not be without her for anything!

7 comments:
I'm so grateful for moments like that. I have Joshua 1:9 framed on Joshua's wall, "Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest." Hopefully he'll feel more of a connection to that scripture because it was spoken to the prophet he was named after.
What a beautiful experience. You are so right to be consistent in the way you guide your children. Jane will appreciate in later years the way she has been taught, I'm sure.
Thanks for sharing that. I had to stop a couple of times to wipe away tears.
Ruth, I love your comment!! When I received that inspiration I thought of Jane and how that stubbornness will serve her well if we can channel it for good and teach HER to be Steadfast and Immovable - but WE need to be that way too, to teach her. Thank you!
That was so sweet! And so inspiring to hear about you praying so much for specifically one child. I need to be better at doing that. Sometimes I get these realizations that I may have had children sent to me with a lot of potential and I sure hope it isn't my mothering that holds them back because I didn't know how to channel or draw our their gifts. It's pretty overwhelming sometimes!
Jen, I know! Feel the same way. I am acutely aware that I am accountable for these kids and what I teach them. With all that we have been blessed with (being raised in the gospel, having good educations, good jobs, etc) we really should be bringing our A game to parenting!
Love this Tania. Thanks for the good reminder of seeking the Lord's help in raising our children. Love you!!!
Melissa
Post a Comment