



I am usually a stickler for bedtimes, but tonight my kids went to bed late. Very late - 9pm, a full 2 hours past their bedtime.You are probably thinking that its because it's Monday night & I was giving a wonderful & enriching FHE. No, no. It's because at 11am I decided to put together the toddler bed that has been in it's box beside Emily's bed for weeks. Who knew - but apparently, putting together a toddler bed without the help of another adult (while holding a baby and having help of said toddler) - takes 10 hours! We did take breaks for the plumber (don't ask), Jacob's speech therapy, lunch, naps, doing some laundry, a walk around the duck pond, dinner & baths - but seriously, 10 hours!
It was all worth it when he saw it. His friend Connor has a toddler bed, and whenever we're over there Jacob LOVES to get in it. He has never even attempted to climb out of his crib, so it was a tough decision to make an early jump to a "big boy bed", but we will be needing the crib for Jane before too long, and if anyone saw his reaction to her getting in "his" stroller, you'll know why there needs to be an interim period where the crib just sits empty.
Jacob's friend Oscar only just developed a comfort object - Jacob has no shortage of them. Of course his silky and Mimi (pacifier/dummy) are his most precious objects, but he can never go to bed without Teddy, and has recently added George to his bedtime entourage. I tucked them all in, under the quilt his Grandma D. made & placed his slippers beside his bed ready for morning.
He only got out 3 times. I was expecting more, but the fact that I was standing in the hallway rocking Jane to sleep may have helped. I am anticipating that he will explore his new found freedom this week & there'll be a lot of taking him back to bed. I think he'll get the nights fast, but naptime might take a little more.
If it gets really tough, the crib is still on the other side of the room. It wouldn't fit out the door, so will have to be taken apart to be moved to Emily's room (4 feet away!) I guess that's a 10 hour project for another day ....
5 comments:
Wow! I'm dreading the move to the toddler bed. I'm not sure how long the crib tent thing will work. Maybe until Kindgergarten?
congratualtions jacob! what a big boy! wish we were there to celebrate with zane jumping on the bed with you!
You are braver than I. Colin will be in his crib until . . . yeah kindergarten sounds about right, lindsey.
You are becoming quite the photographer! I love the shots of the slippers by the bed and Jacob clutching his security items. He's a cutie.
Emma - couldn't let Dad be the only one with "classic shots."
Post a Comment