11.07.2006

Election Day

I only became a US citizen 2 years ago. Before then it never really bothered me that I couldn't vote, since I felt I contributed in many other ways (letter writing, boycotts, rallies, etc.) Now that I'm able to vote, I am really glad for the privilege, and take it seriously.

At my citizenship ceremony, someone said that you should take your kids with you when you vote, and I think it's a great idea. So, for the 2nd night in a row the kids went to bed late (this time just 8pm) because Rick came home early from work, and we all went to vote together.

Emily was enthralled. The sweet ladies at the polling place let her play with the practice voting machine so she could see how it worked, and I let her come in with me & pull the lever to close the curtains & then open them back up again.

I am happy I took her tonight, so she learned more about voting & elections - but more so for the conversation we had waiting in the short line to go into the booth. Here it is

Me - "Em, stand here with me behind Daddy & we'll wait for our turn."
Emily - "Aren't you & Dad going in together?"
Me - "Nope. Everyone gets their own turn, so they can make their own choice about who they want to vote for."
Emily - "But you & Dad are married."
Me - (Hiding the look of horror from my face - how is it that we haven't had this conversation yet?) "Yes, but we don't have to vote for the same people. We don't even have to agree. Daddy and I agree on lots of things, but we also disagree on some things. Just because you're married you don't have to do the same thing - you can make your own choice."
Emily - "Oh, that's a good idea."

And I agree. It's a very good idea.

1 comment:

Lizzy said...

i take my kids to vote also. afton had fun helping me push the buttons and loved the vote sticker we both got.