I love holiday books, and keep a basket upstairs that I put different books in for each holiday. My favorite book was a gift from our friend Victoria, a few years ago, and this is it."Thank-You Sarah!" is the story of Sarah Josepha Hale. Widowed, she raised 5 children by herself, (sewing at night to support them) when she was younger than I am now. Later she wrote "Mary had a Little Lamb" campaigned for equal education for girls, was the first editor of the first woman's magazine, and promoted public playgrounds & nurseries for working women. She wrote over 2 dozen novels, and many poems. I can't believe that she doesn't feature in social studies and history classes!
I love that this book is about Thanksgiving, but more than that I love that it shows a strong, capable & tenacious woman. Her "secret weapon" to save Thanksgiving is a pen. My favorite illustration is of her surrounded by her sleeping children, with stacks of letters piled on their beds and every available space. The best line in the book is "Never underestimate dainty little ladies." It's cute, funny, inspiring and the illustrations are great. Buy the book here and enjoy it often.
1 comment:
what a great holiday gift this would make for your neighbor specifically! ;-)
Post a Comment