12.14.2006

"Little Brother"



This is my brother, Mark, and his family. Mark is 5 years younger than me, but since he's 6'3" tall, not so much my "little" brother anymore.

I recently ran into someone who knew Mark when he was a teenager (Mark, remember Starr?) It was fun to talk about then (he really gave my parents a run for their money), and how he's doing now.

I used to be embarrassed in school when someone would ask if he was my brother, because he got into SO MUCH trouble, but the fact is, I really admire him now. Mark has become a wonderful husband and father, and although he is doing very well professionally - those are the attributes I admire (and matter), the most. It's wonderful to see him with his kids, how much he enjoys them and how proactive he is in teaching them. They have 3 great kids, and are expecting baby #4 in May. I'm hoping for a girl (because they could use another one) and because then I can give them all Jane's stuff (Jane is a May baby.) McKinlay is the oldest (8) and is just a sweetheart. She always trys hard to do what is right, and is very loving and thoughtful of other people. Adam (6) is full of energy and enthusiasm. He reminds me SO MUCH of Mark when he was a kid. Luke (2 today) is the same age as Jacob, and is his "kindred spirit." He loves cars as much as Jacob loves trains, and also loves his "fuzzy" (a fleece version of Jacob's "silky.") I am looking forward to the next time we get together, for them to play more.

The BEST thing Mark has ever done was to marry Jeni. If there's one person I want to be more like, it's definitely Jeni. I wish we lived closer to each other so she could "rub off on me" a little more. She is amazing. Everything about Jeni is wonderful, but here are the things I enjoy the most -

* She is a great wife to Mark, and works hard to do what's best for her family. (I'm SUPER inpressed with how she manages her grocery budget!)

* Is THE most patient mother ever! You should see her in action.

* She is a very warm person, and just plain nice to be around.

* She is genuine.

* She cooks yummy food and shares the recipes with me.

* She has a great sense of humor, and can laugh at herself.

* She is really talented.. She can do almost anything, but her beautiful quilts are my favorite.

* She's "got it together." She seems to me to be really well balanced - something I wish I could do better.

Tomorrow will be Jeni's birthday, so I've been thinking a lot about her too. It's been so nice to think more about Mark and his family this week. I love & miss you guys!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tania,

That made me cry! You were far too generous in your compliments to me. I wish we lived closer as well, but if we did you most likely wouldn't have the same opinion of me. When I think of someone who has it all together it is you...as far as patience, well let me share a little story with you.

The other day Mark was sharing with the children some things he is still working on even though he is an adult. I jokingly said "I've got everything figured out. I don't really need to work on anything." Adam turned to me with a 'give me a break' look on his face and said "mom, your screaming". There is nothing like children and their brutal honesty.

Love you,
Jeni

Anonymous said...

Come on girls! I know you're both dying to be more like me. I can down a whole family sized bar of chocolate in one sitting, I have organised my TV watching schedule brilliantly so that I don't miss out on anything, and I make a killer grilled cheese.

Tara