1.18.2007

Sweet prayer, sweet boy.

This was such a happy moment for me, that even though it happened last Monday (the 8th), I have to post it.

Jacob & I were saying his bedtime prayers. Usually he just repeats what I tell him in his cute un-articulated words (Rick says it sounds as if it's been translated into pig-latin!) I try and mostly just pray a lot of "Thanks-you's", because I think we have a lot to be thankful for, and I'd like him to learn that we should express more gratitude, than offering up a shopping list of wants. At the end we include one request for a blessing - to be healthy if we're sick, but most often we ask that Heavenly Father will help him to learn to talk.

That night I was saying things for him to copy, when he spontaneously said "Thank you for trains" and then right after it "Bless I play at Connors house." It was SO SWEET, and just a great moment for us. I was thrilled to see some of what is in his head (& heart) and that he would spontaneously pray for those things (I have never offered trains or playing at Connors for him to copy). The great thing was, that the next day our singing group was at Connors house - so he did get to go play there!

After the Amen, I ran & got the camera & had him pose for a shot to remember the moment with. He is a great little guy, and I sure love him.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Tania

Your blog has become compelling reading for me, but stop making me cry with your gorgeous children!!

Karen
xx

Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

What a beautiful shot.

liz said...

I totally got teary-eyed! I LOVE IT!

One of my CA friends also had a similar experience where her son prayed for something on his own for the first time, too, recently.

You guys make me so excited to hear what Zane will pray for on his own someday!

laura said...

That picture is so cute! I love that story. You are a great mom. Connor is just now starting to do this, a year older than Jacob, because I never had him repeat what I said, I just prayed.

The other day I was in the other room and had asked him to bless his breakfast because I'd already eaten. I heard, "Thank thee for Daddy. Thank thee for Abby. Thank thee for Mommy. Please bless my food...." I got teary-eyed.