5.30.2007

Gardening

We are way behind on our gardening - all that spring travel - but we'll catch up. The weather has been perfect, so I've been trying to get out there as much as I can before the humidity arrives. The kids love to be outside, and are usually happy to wander the yard and dig in the dirt. Emily loves to help me plant the flowers, and she's just fun to be with. Rebekah is less enthusiastic about helping, but is a great worker after all the eye rolling is over.
Here's Emily taking a break. We bought another swing - the one on the left. All my kids love to swing. I'm still not confidant in Jacob's ability to hold on, so we got the toddler swing so he and Jane can swing at the same time. The strap swing on the other side is still for Emily & the 2nd strap swing we've put in the garage for now. It's working out beautifully - except Jacob likes to be pushed from behind, and Jane likes it better when I'm pushing from in front - so I just alternate. We've not had great luck the past 2 years with the impatiens, so this year I'm trying petunias in the front bed. Pink, white & yellow. Then I did yellow cascading petunias and a small blue trailing flower in the window box on the deck. My friend Melissa, had great luck with them last year. I'm using the fertilizer she recommended and have taught Emily how to dead-head them. I'm hoping for big full blooms this year.
Jacob helped to plant tomato plants. We're moving things around this year, and taking out the concrete retaining wall in the back and replacing it with interlocking landscaping bricks. I'm hoping to get that done within the next 2 weeks, so we can dedicate this side area (with full sun) to vegetables.
By the front door. Emily planted the alyssum.
Jane was happy to get in on the action too.


4 comments:

eryka said...

that looks like a lot of fun. your yard looks awesome.

Brooke said...

yard work! it just never ends--it looks great!

Corinne said...

You could try turning one of the swings around so that they face opposite directions. Did you plant your tomatoes in a pot? How does that work for you? I've been thinking about doing that so I could try bringing them in during the winter.

Tania said...

Corinne,
Swings - That is a brilliant idea. I guess that's why we all need sisters!

Tomatoes - We do some in the bed and some in pots (for the space)- we've done it that way for the past 3 years and it works well. We don't bring them in, we just pitch them in fall - but they produce well all summer.