6.28.2007

Blue Man Group

I figured I should probably try and get caught up on our Australian pictures, and keep more current in my posts. Our car is in getting repaired (from my little mis-hap in March) and we're trapped at home for a few days. My sister and her kids get here Tuesday, so I'm making the most of being home to get cleaned up and organized before they arrive - hopefully that will include blogging too.

By far, my favorite thing we did in Australia was going to the Great Barrier Reef. We tried to find a very kid friendly company, and were really thrilled with Quicksilver (they even gave me a free new T-shirt when Jane got sea sick and puked all over me on the way out there.) They have a pontoon moored at the outer reef, so you go out to that. There's a glass bottom boat that took us from there out around the reef. We saw 3 sea turtles, TONS of fish, coral, sea cucumbers - but no sharks (Emily was bummed.) Then they also have an underwater viewing area from the pontoon (which was perfect for Jacob & Jane) and then you can also snorkel or go diving from the pontoon. Emily has loved the oceans and ocean life since she was super small (about 18 months old,) she's the reason we went on a whale watch in Maine, and why we make so many trips to aquariums. I was really excited for her to see it (perhaps she'll be a great conservationist one day.)

It was perfect. We had a buffet lunch when we arrived, then went down to the viewing area, after that we went out on the glass bottom boat, then I stayed with the kids while R & R snorkeled. When they came back in Emily & I went out. Australians are pretty environmentally conscious, and REALLY protective of the reef. They give you these blue suits to wear, partly to protect from jellyfish, but also so you won't go in the water with sunscreen on that could pollute the water & damage the reef. We looked ridiculous, but so did everyone there, so who cares. I also put life jackets on Emily and I. She's a great little swimmer, but the water was a little choppy, and I was unsure of how well she'd do in the ocean. She did great, I bet we didn't even need the vests, but it was nice not to be anxious about her. Out we went, swimming along, holding hands with arms outstretched (I didn't want to lose her).

It was AMAZING. The best analogy I have is the difference between eating a store bought tomato over one you grew in your own garden - the one you grew is just so much more intense. That's what it was like to see the fish in their own habitat; not bred, not captive, or in a documentary, or a tank but free and everywhere. The colors were amazing, the coral gorgeous. It was such a wonderful experience. I kept tapping Emy on the shoulder and asking her if she was OK, she'd grin that great smile she has and say she was fine. We swam right through a big school of fish, they were SO CLOSE.
It was really the best thing we did, and made all the better by having my little ocean loving Emy swimming alongside me.

Rebekah Smurf.
Jacob testing the equipment for us!

Confession - these pictures are actually from when we were at the Sydney Aquarium (after me saying it was so much better than an aquarium.) The one's I took at the reef aren't great (I need a red filter for the camera) - but this is really what it was like; only even better.

Next time we make it there we'll either be without the kids, or they'll be a lot bigger, so I'm definitely diving then.

3 comments:

NessaAnn said...

Dang, I want a blue suit like that! So cool! No more white-leg blues. (ha ha, get it?)
I wonder what would happen if you wore it to the grocery store.

Emma said...

The first time I went snorkelling I freaked out because all the fish were around me. Then I remembered that was the point! That's another place we need to go before we leave Aus.

Cathy said...

Another great experience for your family. I haven't r done that, YET!

Mum