We babysat Nibbles back in February, and it was a positive experience for us. The kids have been dying for a pet, and I was feeling like we could manage one after Jane turned a year old. We had planned to get one at the end of summer. Since then we've been "visiting" the hamsters at the pet store, looking for the one we might like and also checking with the humane society.
Two weeks ago, we went for a visit - and saw this little cutie. I wanted one with a white stripe around it's tummy, and a girl. We fell in love with her, and it took very little begging for me to decide to bring her home with us.
She was just a baby, and really a bit too little for her to be sold, so we've had to be very careful with her for the 1st two weeks (changing her every day, and no holding.) Everyone wants her in their room. So far she's been in the office (where her running in her squeaky wheel keeps me company at night), but she'll probably take "vacations" to each of the kids rooms.
This next picture is blurry, but shows her coloring a little better. We had pre-decided to call our hamster Pumpkin, because we wanted one with orange, and because Jacob loves pumpkins. Then, when the girls saw her they wanted to name her creamsicle, because she's orange (blond really) with white in the middle - cute, but harder to say. Much harder for Jacob actually, who really couldn't say it at all. I want him to feel like she's his pet too, and saying her name is a big part of that. So I vetoed it, and Pumpkin she became. The girls protested for a day, and then adjusted.
So far, they've been really responsible with her and she is getting excellent care. They've learned that she likes blueberries, and carrots, and is not such a fan of apples. She falls out of her wheel when she gets going fast, and startles easily.
We like her. Even Rick, who is not really a pet person, let alone a rodent person said "It's kind of cute" - so here she is. We plan to take good care of her, and hope she's a part of our family for a long time, and enjoys a full and happy life.
6 comments:
I'm really happy for your kids. She's so cute and I'm looking forward to meeting her in August. I sure hope J & J aren't squeezers!
Very cute. I love her little strawberry cubby.
Can you get a more picture-perfect hamster?
What fun! I miss having pets. Though I suppose Jed is a lot like a pet right now. He plays with toys just like my kittens used to do--batting it around and then grabbing it with all fours and chewing it to death!
All the above comments, and more!
Mum
Well. I am not a pet person, but admire those who do it well. I miss Dougall, but feel irresponsible seeing as he mysteriously vanished after several years with us. Having said that, I am sure we are the proud owner of several rodents...living on 'the farm' as we do. We just don't know about them!
Post a Comment