8.12.2007

Featherdale Wildlife Park

You can't possible go to Australia without seeing some of it's amazing & unique animals. Featherdale Wildlife Park has been one of our favorites since we lived down under.

Tara, Greg, Mitchell, Emy, Jacob & Jane entering the park.Emma, Josh & Maya came too - but I don't have any great pictures of them.

Jacob patting a joey.
Loved this joey in his/her mother's pouch.
The mother was so calm and tame, that she let Emily pat her joey right in the pouch. These are grey kangaroos at Featherdale, they are quite a bit smaller than red kangaroos.I figured that these animals were born in captivity, and have visitors filing past them all day, everyday, and it was safe to put Jane next to her. I was at-the-ready to grab her if the kangaroo made an aggressive move or started to get up! Jane really like her.
The BEST part of the visit was at the end, as we were leaving. There was a worker there with a joey in a bag ("fake pouch") that we could hold.
Jacob was quite pleased with the experience!

I was so thrilled to see my baby "holding" a baby kangaroo, and to share that experience with her. She won't remember it - but we have the cute picture!

There were lots of other Australian animals - the black swan (state bird of Western Australia.)

A cassowary.
A personal favorite of mine - a wombat (sleeping.)
They're not exactly active creatures!

Kookaburra's
We actually went to Featherdale twice. Once with the cousins, and then again when Rick and Rebekah arrived. Here are some shots of when we went as a family.

Rebekah with the koala.
Rick and Jane & koala.
One was named Adelaide. We took pictures of her & her name sign, since that's also Jane's middle name.
Mother & Baby cuddling & sleeping.

Anytime I see animals with their babies, I am struck by how close they keep them, even though most animal babies are far more capable than human babies - and my belief in attachment parenting is renewed! (Much to Jane's relief.)

No comments: