10.09.2007

Stegosaurus Cake

This year Jacob is really into dinosaurs., so we thought we'd do a dinosaur cake. I made the spines out of fondant a few days before (so they'd dry), and baked a bunch of different shapes on Saturday night while Rick was at the priesthood session of General Conference. Then, when Rick came home, he said he wanted to do the cake. Never one to fight having something removed from my "to do" list - I was fine with it.
Rick enjoyed doing the train cake with me last year, so I figured he's have fun with it. He had the idea of how he wanted it to look, and wanted it's legs to look like it was standing up. I thought that would be too much work - but left him to his own devices, and THIS is what he came up with. I have to say - even I was pretty inpressed - it was a much better job that I would have done. We did collaberate at the end for placement of the scales, and eyes - but otherwise it was all Rick. Way to go honey (um, and Emily's birthday is in December ...)

Right side, and tail spikes

Left side

Spines down the backCandy corn "toenails" (or whatever you call them on a dinosaur, claws?)

9 comments:

Brooke said...

This is very impressive! Happy Birthday Jacob! Good luck with the 3rd year!

Erin said...

nice job rick. very impressive. you should hire out your services.

Mumsy said...

That was one of the greatest cakes I have ever seen. It was spectacular!

Tara said...

That's the coolest cake. Good job Rick!

mae said...

Fabulous cake!!!

Allison said...

dinosaur heaven! i love it!

Emma said...

That cake is excellent!

sara said...

i'd like to add that this cake TASTED even better than it looked. one of the perks of living next door to tania is delicious treats often find their way to me.

rob schill, watch your back! next thing we know, rick will be entertaining children in closets for hours in the middle of the night.

Liesa said...

I can never show these pictures to my children. Ever. My cakes will never cut it again. I will be showing it to Andrew though. Thanks Rick!