Emily was the first one in our family to call her pacifier/dummy/binky/soother a "mimi." We thought it was so cute, that it's what we all started to call them - to the point that we forgot what they even "really" were called.
Jacob LOVES his "Mimi." He pretty much only had it to sleep. For some time I've known we need to take it away, but have needed him to have it too much myself. We tried taking it this summer, but he woke up every 20 minutes crying (uh, make that screaming) for it, which woke up Jane - so I had two tired and screaming babies. I caved after a couple of hours.
I knew I couldn't face my brother in law (and our dentist) again without taking it (since Jacob has developed an overbite), and have been working up the courage since the day he turned 3.
I decided on a plan of action - to "trade" them at the store for a big truck, something he has been wanting for a while. Last Saturday we went. We talked about it ALL week, and featured the phrase "big boy" in every conversation. He was so excited to go trade them for a new truck. So, when we got there and realized I'd forgotten the camera, there was no way we could put it off. I bought a disposable one (I've got to get my little Cannon back from bek to keep in the diaper bag again) to mark the occasion, so please excuse the crummy pictures.
We let him suck it "one last time" in the car on the way to the store.
(only a few minor crashes.)
The sales girl looked at me like "Lady, we don't take those!"
I whispered to her "Just go with it, throw them in the garbage after we leave."
The next two nights he asked for it at bedtime, but after a gentle reminder (and lots of playing trucks during the day), he was OK and slept easily and through the night without it.
I must confess, that 1st night after I lifted him back into his own bed, I sat beside him and watched him sleep without it in his mouth. He looked so big, and I cried. I'm glad the transition was so smooth - but it was one of the last vestiges of babyhood, and I was a little sad to let that go. Fortunately for me, I adore my big boy just as much.
9 comments:
I got a little teary-eyed, too. What a great idea though. I love it! I think I'm going to try something similar with potty training.
You need to get yourself a "Big Mummy" prize for consolation.
Cori, yes I think diamonds are what Mother's get for giving them up - right?
Good idea! I'm glad it all went smoothly.
Very cute. When Jordan turned 3 we decided it was time. Fortunately we had dwindled the number of dummies down to one blue one. The opportunity arose when Andrew found one the same which had been lost in the garden, but the teat was black from dirt. Andrew pulled the old 'switcheroonie,' hiding the good dummie and producing the filthy one and proclaimed to Jordan that 'Chester' his grandparents dog had pooped on it. The look of digust was priceless and Jordan never asked for it back.
Easy! Cheap too!
Oh my goodness. That was the sweetest little thing I ever did see! Jacob handing his mimis over to the girl at the store. How great that you documented it with the pictures. I got teary-eyed, too. I have looked at my kids after major milestones the same way, and while you are happy to see them growing up, it's hard to let go of our babies.
I don't even have kids and I was crying. Looking at that picture of Jacob standing in front of Target with the bag of mimis I was thinking he doesn't know what he's getting into. I'm glad the transition was as easy as it was in the end. Liesa - I love the dog poo dummy story.
When it was time for Lesley to give up we "gave" hers to a horse when we were on holiday. It worked fine. Can't remember with Karen - she had two which she would sometimes suck together ... ! Sorry, girls - don't wish to embarrass you.
Love it--way to go Jacob-and Tania! I love the dog story Liesa--that is too good!
Post a Comment