Jacob had his last swimming lesson, until fall. I am really proud of how much he's learned this year, and that he earned his starfish & fish badges. Although I'm still relying on my vigilance to keep him safe, I feel much better knowing he can swim across the pool by himself, and get himself out, if he were to fall in, unnoticed.
I took my camera for his last lesson (he actually had one after this - but I went in too then, and couldn't take pictures.) Here is his favorite teacher (Steve) adjusting his goggles.

Ready - go.

He swims out to Steve ...

... who turns him around and gives him "big arm" reminders. Then it's off to the other side of the pool.

You can't really tell -but that splash in the water is Jacob. It kind of looks like he's drowning, but he is swimming. His big arms are more like T-Rex arms - but he's working on it! Still, he could cross the pool by himself before he turned 3 1/2 - so not bad!

For the last day they went to the deep end (12 ft deep) for the first time. I think it's funny that they have this sense of "ooo - the deep end," it's all deep to them, it's not like they can reach the bottom in the 4 ft area either!
You could see Jacob was a little apprehensive, but also excited.

Their instructions were to go in & right to the side & get out. Dana (another teacher) is in the water, just in case.

He did it. Great job Jake!

Playtime (Jacob's favorite) is always the last 5 minutes of class - he loves to climb on & then jump off this mat.

Mostly in the summer, we just play, but we will work on big arms a little. Here's looking forward to September and more swimming badges for Jake!
4 comments:
I'm so proud of him and I'm not even there. That is so impressive.
Way to go Jacob and Emily...that's great.
That really is impressive. I was bragging about him (and Emily and Luke) to my friend the other day at Ethan's swimming lessons. Again, I wish we had resources like that!!
Go Jake! I suppose with T-Rex arms he could scare the other swimmers out of the water and have the pool all to himself... If that didn't work, he could let loose with his shark impersonations and really be force to be reckoned with!
Post a Comment