Yesterday was BEAUTIFUL. The weather finally let up. The sky was blue, the temp was in the low 80's with a cool breeze, and low humidity. Perfect.
We picked up Emily from school, and headed for the zoo. I love to go to the zoo in the late afternoon because all the school groups have gone, and it's never crowded. The kids can run and I don't have to worry about losing sight of them.
I just renewed my membership by mail and my new card hasn't arrived yet. I can get in with my membership number but not get my usual free parking, so I planned to park on the street. I couldn't have got a more perfect spot - right on Southern Boulevard directly across from the entrance. We were probably closer than if we had been in the parking lot!
I just renewed my membership by mail and my new card hasn't arrived yet. I can get in with my membership number but not get my usual free parking, so I planned to park on the street. I couldn't have got a more perfect spot - right on Southern Boulevard directly across from the entrance. We were probably closer than if we had been in the parking lot!
The kids had an ice cream, and we headed to the bug carousel. We were the only one's on it, and the kids each got to ride their bug of choice. Awesome.
Then we ambled down towards the house of darkness that Emily had requested to see. We stopped on the way to see the turtles, and Jane was squealing with delight "A baby one!" "A Daddy one!" "I see one swimming!" Too cute.
I deliberately didn't take my camera. I just wanted to enjoy the time with the kids. We have tons of zoo pictures anyway. I was thinking to myself "I should always remember this moment. This is perfect, what a great afternoon."
Then we passed the bears. The kids love to climb on the huge rocks everywhere. They scampered across one as I rounded it with the empty stroller. There's about a 3 foot drop on the other side, but I knew Jane would wait - because she loves to jump and have me catch her. I turned just in time to see Emily stretch out her arms and Jane leap into them. Of course, Emily can't catch her. Jane weighs 26lbs, Em is barely 49. I couldn't catch someone more than 1/2 my weight jumping at me from a height!
The both went down, Jane's forehead took the brunt, then she flipped over. Both of them were crying and covered in dirt and dry leaves & grass. I took them to the nearby bathroom, and washed them off. Emily's elbow was scratched up, but she recovered quickly. Poor little Jane had dirt up her nose, and all over her, and a huge graze on her head. I washed her as well as I could, and took some antibiotic cream from my little first aid kit & covered it.
It's big, but superficial. Hopefully it will heal quickly, and we can keep her from picking at it. Jacob gouged her cheek (pretending he was a leopard) last fall. She picked at the scab, and now has two little scars on her cheek.
When we got home I took a few pictures to document the "bonk" - of course, after she was feeling better she was back to being our sunny, smiley little girl.
Then we ambled down towards the house of darkness that Emily had requested to see. We stopped on the way to see the turtles, and Jane was squealing with delight "A baby one!" "A Daddy one!" "I see one swimming!" Too cute.
I deliberately didn't take my camera. I just wanted to enjoy the time with the kids. We have tons of zoo pictures anyway. I was thinking to myself "I should always remember this moment. This is perfect, what a great afternoon."
Then we passed the bears. The kids love to climb on the huge rocks everywhere. They scampered across one as I rounded it with the empty stroller. There's about a 3 foot drop on the other side, but I knew Jane would wait - because she loves to jump and have me catch her. I turned just in time to see Emily stretch out her arms and Jane leap into them. Of course, Emily can't catch her. Jane weighs 26lbs, Em is barely 49. I couldn't catch someone more than 1/2 my weight jumping at me from a height!
The both went down, Jane's forehead took the brunt, then she flipped over. Both of them were crying and covered in dirt and dry leaves & grass. I took them to the nearby bathroom, and washed them off. Emily's elbow was scratched up, but she recovered quickly. Poor little Jane had dirt up her nose, and all over her, and a huge graze on her head. I washed her as well as I could, and took some antibiotic cream from my little first aid kit & covered it.
It's big, but superficial. Hopefully it will heal quickly, and we can keep her from picking at it. Jacob gouged her cheek (pretending he was a leopard) last fall. She picked at the scab, and now has two little scars on her cheek.
When we got home I took a few pictures to document the "bonk" - of course, after she was feeling better she was back to being our sunny, smiley little girl.
6 comments:
Oh, how sad!!! But what a fun afternoon in any case!
Poor Jane. It's sweet (and a little scary) how young children have complete trust in themselves and each other.
It wouldn't be a day out in our family without a scrape or two. That's a good one, though! Hope it heals quickly for her.
Yes, perfection is but a fleeting state...
I hope Jane's cute litle face is back to normal soon.
That could rival a Wilson face.
:(
She still looks like a doll, ready for a photo shoot for baby gap !
Post a Comment