Emily and I finished reading the first Harry Potter book.
We started reading it at the end of September - once the school routine was in full swing. Rebekah & I read it right after we moved to Brooklyn - 10 years ago. I can't believe it's been that long.
Rebekah was just about to turn 6 at the time, Emily is headed towards 8. I waited with Em, because she gets frightened more easily, and seems to have less of a distinction between what it real or not. However, she'd started to hear things - from cousins & friends and learn a bit about the books and I didn't want them to be ruined for her. I wanted her to experience the books "untainted" by outside tales or spoilers.
So we started, and she was NOT scared. She LOVED it. Our evening routine is that the little one's go to bed at 7, then from 7 - 8 Emily & I do her piano practice & any unfinished homework together. We can read at 8pm. If she's not finished homework & piano, etc by 8, it's too late to read. I have never seen her so motivated to be ready by 8. At the end of each chapter I say "and we'll have to find out what happened next, tomorrow night." Then, she begs for more, "Please just 1 more page. Just read the next line." Sometimes, I give in. Because I love it too.
Although Rebekah has read each book multiple times, I have not read them since my original reading 10 years ago. It has been fun for me to re-read it, especially with the knowledge of what's to come.
When I was Emily's age my Dad read us "The Lord of the Rings." It was a magical experience, and one that I will never forget. I recently learned that my Dad used to pre-read the chapter we were up to each day, so he would know what was going to happen and who said what, so that he could do the right voices. I LOVED the voices my Dad did as he read to us, and how easy it was to follow the story & know who was speaking because of them. It moved me to tears to think that he had put so much effort into making that come alive for us. It had definitely impacted how I have been reading with Emily. I think I've always been a good out-loud reader, (I have lots of inflection in my voice,) but I have made more of an effort to make my reading wonderful & duplicate my experience for Em. I will never have my Dads "voice talent" but I hope that the times we spend reading will stay with her, create a bond between us, and give her a love of reading, and the world that words can take her to.
Thanks Dad, for giving me the gift of a love of reading - so that I can pass it on to my children.
We started reading it at the end of September - once the school routine was in full swing. Rebekah & I read it right after we moved to Brooklyn - 10 years ago. I can't believe it's been that long.
Rebekah was just about to turn 6 at the time, Emily is headed towards 8. I waited with Em, because she gets frightened more easily, and seems to have less of a distinction between what it real or not. However, she'd started to hear things - from cousins & friends and learn a bit about the books and I didn't want them to be ruined for her. I wanted her to experience the books "untainted" by outside tales or spoilers.
So we started, and she was NOT scared. She LOVED it. Our evening routine is that the little one's go to bed at 7, then from 7 - 8 Emily & I do her piano practice & any unfinished homework together. We can read at 8pm. If she's not finished homework & piano, etc by 8, it's too late to read. I have never seen her so motivated to be ready by 8. At the end of each chapter I say "and we'll have to find out what happened next, tomorrow night." Then, she begs for more, "Please just 1 more page. Just read the next line." Sometimes, I give in. Because I love it too.
Although Rebekah has read each book multiple times, I have not read them since my original reading 10 years ago. It has been fun for me to re-read it, especially with the knowledge of what's to come.
When I was Emily's age my Dad read us "The Lord of the Rings." It was a magical experience, and one that I will never forget. I recently learned that my Dad used to pre-read the chapter we were up to each day, so he would know what was going to happen and who said what, so that he could do the right voices. I LOVED the voices my Dad did as he read to us, and how easy it was to follow the story & know who was speaking because of them. It moved me to tears to think that he had put so much effort into making that come alive for us. It had definitely impacted how I have been reading with Emily. I think I've always been a good out-loud reader, (I have lots of inflection in my voice,) but I have made more of an effort to make my reading wonderful & duplicate my experience for Em. I will never have my Dads "voice talent" but I hope that the times we spend reading will stay with her, create a bond between us, and give her a love of reading, and the world that words can take her to.
Thanks Dad, for giving me the gift of a love of reading - so that I can pass it on to my children.
3 comments:
We've read them out loud to McKinlay and Adam too. We all love it.
Oh, those were the days - wonderful days. I too, remember when Dad used to read the Lord of the Rings to you. And painted the mural on one whole bedroom wall in Australia, of the main characters. Wish we could have carried that wall from house to house with us! It's fun to see, not only you, but Sara reading it to Kate now and in the past, to Alyssa and Alex. Mark and Jeni reading it to their children and, I believe the others will too, as their children reach that age. It certainly has developed a love of reading in them.
Love, Mum
I'm glad you have that experience of reading with your kids - I think it's really great.
Post a Comment