10.20.2008

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

I couldn't find the Disney movie to explain the story of Ichabod Crane (I had wanted to play it in the car on the way to "Legend"), but we do have a few books.
This is one of my favorite versions for kids.

It's the "Step Into Reading" version by Natalie Standiford, Illustrated by Donald Cook. The story is perfectly simplified for children - but gets all the main points. The superstitious school master in love with Katrina Van Tassel trying to win her hand, the playful Brom Bones, the night ride over the bridge, the Headless Horseman and the smashed pumpkin - ending with a picture of Brom & Katrina's wedding. The delightful illustrations look like they are colored pencil, and they show Ichabod just as you would imagine him ("a scarecrow off it's post.)

When Rebekah was learning to read, I bought about 200 of these "step into reading books" and we have really got great use out of them (& will continue to do so.) This one is a "step 2" for grades 1 -3. Emily read it to Jacob & Jane several times, and we also read it one night as one of our candlelight stories.

I confess, I like this story a lot more now that we live here and have visited Sunnyside (Washington Irving's place) and the areas where the story is set. Really though, it's an American classic - so I really want my kids to be familiar with the story and you can't go wrong with a classic.

No comments: