10.20.2008

Sleepy Hollow

We maintain a membership with Historic Hudson Valley. We enjoy the historic sites year round, but October is really when we LOVE it.

"Legend Weekends" are held in October at Phillipsburg Manor, in Sleepy Hollow. They have bonfires burning, and ghosts (real people dressed all in white, with white painted faces) walking around, or dancing in the barn. On the lake they have ghosts rowing a rowboat (this year is was some kind of sea creature swimming.) The kids really love to see the live Headless Horseman ride through the pasture with a pumpkin under his arm. It's dark, the smell of the bonfires are in the air and there's lots of spooky music, it's so Halloweeny!

In years past we have left the younger kids with a babysitter. Last year we took Emily, but this year I decided to take the whole family - it's spooky, but nothing really too scary. We've spent a lot of time this month explaining to Jacob & Jane that the key thing to remember about Halloween is that it's all just pretend, so I thought they'd be OK. I really wanted them to see the movie (cartoon) of the headless Horseman - the old Disney one - but couldn't find it anywhere. If anyone knows where I can get one, I'd love to add it to our collection.

Without a doubt, the very best part of going to Legend, is listening to the storyteller. He's usually the first thing you get to past the entrance. Each year I see so many people pass him by to get to the other stuff and think they just don't know what they're missing.

We've heard Jonathan Kruk tell a different tale every year. This year it was the actual Legend of Sleepy Hollow. He is absolutely magical, and it's wonderful to sit in the dark, in the open air with your back to a fire and listen to him. I heard he does something called "Spooky, not Scary Stories" up in Cold Spring, right before Halloween for younger kids. I'd love to take mine there next year.

We were so happy to get to the end (of course, you exit through the gift shop) and see that he's released a CD of the unabridged version of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, so we bought it instantly. If you can get your hands on one of these, I highly recommend it. Rebekah loves listening to this guy, and listened to it over the next few nights as she did homework.

We had lots of fun (I didn't take the camera, because it's so dark, and none of it looks as cool with the flash anyway.) After spending almost 2 hours there, the kids were tired so we headed back to the car for cider, hot chocolate & pumpkin chocolate chip cookies that I always take with us. Jacob & Jane weren't scared too much (they hugged me a little closer for a few things) and had fun. There were no ensuing nightmares, so I think they can come each year.
I love taking advantage of living near Sleepy Hollow and this Halloween tradition!

2 comments:

Tara said...

That sounds like so much fun. I wish we could go. We have that movie, The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr Toad. I can't remember where we got it but I just typed it into Amazon and they have it available there.

Tania said...

Tara, I saw that one - is it the same? The cover looks different from when I was a kid. Maybe I'll see if I can get it on Netflix and see if it's the one I'm thinking of.