11.23.2008

Leaves

The leaves are just about finished for the year. I love the trees around our house year round, but I especially love them in September, October & November as they display their spectacular colors.
Working in the garden is one thing I feel like I can really do with my kids and be productive while watching them & having fun at the same time (all other "productivity" happens between 10pm & 2am!)
They love being outside & helping me. I think we learn, bond and have fun all together AND I'm getting work done too - I love the garden. They love to "help" me rake. We rake all the leaves into a pile at the bottom of our slide, then they slide down into them, jump into them, etc.

Jacob loves to use the blower. I think I actually do a more efficient, better job with the rake, but it is useful for getting the leaves that are stuck in the stems of plants & bushes, etc. The trouble is when in the hands of Jacob, there's much more destruction of piles, than building!
In October & November, we rake them into a pile in the street in front of our house and the city comes with a huge vacuum truck to suck them up (that is also way fun for them to watch.). Any leaves we rake in December need to be bagged, so I'm always praying for windy days at the end of November.
The kids also like jumping into the piles we make in front too!
Bye leaves, we'll see you again in Spring.

3 comments:

Tara said...

You have such a positive attitude about work. I don't miss racking leaves, actually I think bagging is the worst part, so it's pretty cool that a truck comes by and gets them. The picture of Jane lying in the leaves is adorable.

Ruth said...

How come all the leaves are outside YOUR house? Do you rake your neighbours' gardens too?

Tania said...

Ruth,

All the leaves are in front of our house, because they're ALL our leaves. From one day of raking. We have a lot of trees & a lot of leaves!