2.22.2009

Emily Gets Emily

We had one gift for Emily that we did not give her in Utah - a new American Girl doll. She has Kaya, and LOVES her. She takes good care of her and plays with her all the time, so I thought it wouldn't be that excessive for her to have two. We wanted to get one with shorter hair - trust me Kaya's is a challenge, I spend a lot of time maintaining that dolls hair!

She had her birthday party at American Girl place and I wanted to give her the doll the night before as a surprise. (I myself hate surprises, too much of a control freak).
I knew she would love Kirsten - because she loves all things pioneer and really enjoyed the Kirsten books - but Kirsten has longer hair. I knew she would also love Emily - same name, same eyes, same length (almost the same colour) hair ... hmmm who to choose? I ended up ditching the idea of a surprise and telling her that afternoon that we were getting her a new doll, and letting her choose. She chose Emily - and I think it was the right choice.

Rick picked up the doll on the way home from work.
Emily stayed up waiting for him, and was so excited when he walked in the door with the bag.
Jane stayed up too - only because she knew something exciting was happening & I couldn't get her to stay in her bed!
Jane was happy for Em.Jane loves American Girl Dolls too. It was cute to see her in anticipation with Emily as they opened the boxes. We got a new outfit for her too. I really wanted the swim team outfit since Em is a swimmer - but it's back ordered until May, so we got winter woolens and a little pair of red boots instead.We're planning on making some little pioneer dresses for both Emily (doll) & Kaya - so they can play pioneers. OK, maybe I love these dolls as much as the girls do.

5 comments:

Karen said...

It's so sweet how your kids look so happy for each other when one gets given or achieves something. Mine just sit in a corner sulking because the other one is getting some attention!

Tara said...

That doll really does look like Emily. I love the picture of Emily holding up the new doll and Jane has her arms around Emily's waist.

Emma said...

That's fun. I'm looking forward to reading these books with M now that we're back in the US and can get them at the library.

Liesa said...

Very cute. My boys didn't even know that dolls were called dolls until quite recently. They used to call them 'toy girls'.

Sara said...

Lies, you make me laugh! Congratulations, Emmy.