4.18.2009

100 Laps



This amazing little eight year old swam a mile and a half today!
Non stop. In an hour.

On Emily's All Star team, they had a "mile challenge" back in December - 66 laps of the pool in an hour. Emily did 68 and I was so proud of her - so was she when she got her certificate.

Today was the "mile and a half" challenge, 99 laps. I was nervous for her. This was 31 more laps than she had done just 4 months ago. Could she do it? 31 laps more is a lot.

When it comes to swimming, I totally live vicariously through my children. I love to swim. I am a good swimmer - but these days am too out of shape to do more than a dozen laps and then gasp for breath for 20 minutes, but even when I was in good shape, I was never a great swimmer. I love to watch Emily swim - especially freestyle, which is her best stroke. Her technique is perfect, she has a great stroke and is just beautiful to watch.

Well, she did it. She swam 100 laps, which she is sure to point out was more than a mile and a half. Her stroke was perfect all 100 laps, which I knew was just pure determination by the end. I snapped this picture with my phone as she came out of the pool, tired but happy.

I love you Emy and am SO proud of you.

6 comments:

Karen said...

Good grief, that's amazing! Well done, Emily - I KNOW I couldn't do that in a million years.

Ruth said...

WOW! Well done, Emily. I'm very impressed.

Liesa said...

I'm pushing to finish one lap! Well done!

Emma said...

Mum told me about Emily swimming 100 laps. I'm very impressed - well done!

Mark Butler said...

We used to call that stroke the "Australian crawl." Maybe that's the secret to her success. :-)

Mum and Dad said...

Yes, I'm impressed too Emily and I was there tp see you do it. Great job and great stroke.

Mum (Grandma)