I wanted to post this last week for Father's Day - better late than never.
I am LOVING the Mormon Messages on You Tube & the church website.
I am LOVING the Mormon Messages on You Tube & the church website.
When I was 8 years old (Emily's age), my Dad read the Lord of the Rings Trilogy to my sisters & I. I dearly loved that time, and have such great memories of it. He read a chapter a night, and did really great different voices for each of the characters, which made the story easy to follow. I can still hear his voice in my head, reading it to us.
He made it come alive, and gave me a love of reading that has lasted all my life.
I just recently found out that he would pre-read each chapter of those books during the day - so he would be familiar enough with the story to use the right character voice at the right time, and have the story flow seamlessly. Finding that out touched my heart so much. My Dad was a very busy man. He had a job with a lot of responsibility, at the time 5 (0r 6 ?) kids, a stake president for most of the years I lived at home... Knowing, even though not until years later, that he had gone to that effort for us brought tears to my eyes.
Thank-you Dad, I love you.
Now I have my own family and am married to a very busy man, who works ridiculously long hours in a stressful and demanding job.
Rick has got up 40 minutes early (4:50am) every day of the school year for the past 2 years in order to drop Rebekah off at Seminary, bring the car home to me & make the 6:20am train. He even got up on many days that Rebekah accidentally slept through her alarm, leaving him ready early for no reason. This also greatly benefits me, leaving the little one's and I free to sleep for 45 extra minutes each day, before we have to go and pick her up. On Sunday's he's frequently up early for his assignments for the High Counsel for church. You would think that would make him desperate to sleep later on Saturday mornings, and I'm sure he is. He doesn't. On Saturday's he gets up with Jane and Jacob and scurries them to the TV in the basement to let me sleep a little longer. A true sacrifice. I am sure I have not thanked him enough, but I am so grateful for his commitment to our family and his compassion towards me, that he would give up the most precious of commodities in our house - sleep.
There's a real man. I adore you babe!
Happy Father's Day.
He made it come alive, and gave me a love of reading that has lasted all my life.
I just recently found out that he would pre-read each chapter of those books during the day - so he would be familiar enough with the story to use the right character voice at the right time, and have the story flow seamlessly. Finding that out touched my heart so much. My Dad was a very busy man. He had a job with a lot of responsibility, at the time 5 (0r 6 ?) kids, a stake president for most of the years I lived at home... Knowing, even though not until years later, that he had gone to that effort for us brought tears to my eyes.
Thank-you Dad, I love you.
Now I have my own family and am married to a very busy man, who works ridiculously long hours in a stressful and demanding job.
Rick has got up 40 minutes early (4:50am) every day of the school year for the past 2 years in order to drop Rebekah off at Seminary, bring the car home to me & make the 6:20am train. He even got up on many days that Rebekah accidentally slept through her alarm, leaving him ready early for no reason. This also greatly benefits me, leaving the little one's and I free to sleep for 45 extra minutes each day, before we have to go and pick her up. On Sunday's he's frequently up early for his assignments for the High Counsel for church. You would think that would make him desperate to sleep later on Saturday mornings, and I'm sure he is. He doesn't. On Saturday's he gets up with Jane and Jacob and scurries them to the TV in the basement to let me sleep a little longer. A true sacrifice. I am sure I have not thanked him enough, but I am so grateful for his commitment to our family and his compassion towards me, that he would give up the most precious of commodities in our house - sleep.
There's a real man. I adore you babe!
Happy Father's Day.
4 comments:
That was such a nice video message. What a nice husband his dad was; yours too.
We love Father's and Sons around here too! So glad Jacob caught the fish. He's so cute.
Good luck on the sleep situation. Tough for sure, and yes she's adorable.
Emily way to go you little swimmer! We're so proud of you. One of my best friends brother has CF.....what a great thing to earn money for. Love you guys
Beautiful message, beautiful post.
That video made me cry. What a wonderful husband Elder Christofferson's dad was. Thanks for the tribute to your own dad Tania, he too is a wonderful husband, I am blessed. I loved the tribute you paid to Rick, he really does do a lot for you and the children, you are blessed too, to have him.
Love, Mum
Post a Comment