6.16.2009

Insomniac

Jane is the worst sleeper of any of my kids. BY FAR.
She has slept through the night about 5 times in her entire life. Yes, she's three.

I don't believe in "cry it out" - but Jane almost converted me.
The problem is she's incredibly tenacious, and the few times we've tried it she has screamed with 110% intensity for over 3 hours - by which time all the other kids & Rick are awake. Rick gets up at 4:50am during the school year, and Rebekah not much after that to get to seminary (& then work and school), Emily has to go to school - we just can't have their sleep interrupted, so Jane has us over a barrel.

Also it's so easy to just pull her into bed with us when she wakes up, and she's so darn cute ....

Anyway, because I am often up late working, she sometimes wakes up and comes downstairs to find me. Usually she just needs a drink and then I take her back to bed. The other night I was in the middle of something, and my hands were wet. I told her to just hold on a minute and wait for me to finish. I looked around, and she had fallen back to sleep on the dining room floor.


Comfy!

5 comments:

Jen I said...

That little stinker! Maybe it's the youngest child syndrome. And the curly blond hair, because I think I was just like that too. When you're that cute, you can get away with anything! :) And don't worry - I do believe in crying it out and it isn't working anyway!

Karen said...

Ben is 10 in October and I'm still amazed if he sleeps right through. He calls out for ages after going to bed that he can't sleep, then I often have to go in because he cries in his sleep and then he comes into our room in the early hours practically every night. Some kids just can't do it but it's so hard on us when we want to be able to switch off completely when they've got into bed. Hopefully she'll change...but don't bank on it!

Tara said...

You have a basement right? I bet you couldn't hear her if you locked her down there!

Ruth said...

Oh dear! I think it's a case of "Begin as you mean to go on" and it's a bit late now! It usually pays to be firm from the outset even if it means YOU lose sleep but it's tough on the other people in the house.

Mum and Dad said...

Tania you were just as tenacious and it killed us to listen to you.