8.05.2009

4th of July

For us, the 4th of July celebration always begins on the 3rd, when we head up to a local fireworks display. I love that it's always on the 3rd, because if the 4th is a weekday and we're out late watching fireworks - poor Rick still has to go to work the next day. This way, we can get a nice slow start on the 4th.

Here are my kids on the 15 minute ride there - mesmerized by a movie. It's getting ridiculous - we back out of the driveway & they beg for a movie. I think our DVD player is going to be "broken" for an extended period soon.....


Yep, Jane is wearing a different shirt. She spilled lemonade on herself almost as soon as we got there! Thanks goodness Laura had a spare & Andrew is kind of the same size as Jane!


We pull up onto the grass and open the back of our car and just enjoy hanging out, listening to the bands, playing card games, letting the kids run around and running into friends. Then we eat our picnic dinner, get ice creams & let the kids play in the playground before watching the fireworks. I LOVE it and am glad it has become one of our traditions.

This year we went with friends - which was great, because it meant more fun for the kids when playing & more fun for us to chat! Plus, Alan was great at entertaining the kids - thanks Alan!

Duck, duck, goose.


Emily worked on this sno-cone for about an hour!


You can't really celebrate freedom without light sabers!


Mmmm, ice cream


Hanging out with Dad, and STILL working on the sno-cone.


Then, what we all came for - we LOVED the fireworks.


Then we threw the kids in the car (+ Jane's friend Stella & our 9 month pregnant friend Ashley) and took off home to beat the traffic & toss the kids into bed.
It was a great night.

The next day (the 4th) we planned to spend at the pool. They do a coin toss for the kids - which my kids think is the greatest thing ever! Free Money! (They are clearly their father's children.) Also, the swim team does a fundraiser that day, so I had signed up to spend a few hours walking around trying to sell towels ... I actually ended up selling quite a few!

Why, oh why is it so hard to get these three to stand still together for a picture?


Finally a non-silly one and the flash went off - ruining the lighting! I give up!


The coin toss.

I can't see any money! (It was because they hadn't thrown it yet.)

When it actually began, he loved it.
Although I think he got more water in his bag than money.


Jane got in for a few seconds, then decided it was too crazy for her.


Proud if his catch. He got $1.27


Then it was time for the 5 - 8yr olds.


The competition in this group is tougher!


Emily got $1. 58


Rebekah preferred to read her book and relax.


Poor little Janie couldn't make it.
She was paying for staying up to see fireworks the night before.


We left the pool after lunch and went to see a movie.

I haven't seen any of the other Ice Age movies (Rick has taken the kids to see them - that's when I get a break!) I thought it was cute and enjoyed it. A few guys from our ward work for Blue Sky & it's always fun to look for their names in the credits.

After the movie we headed home for dinner. Traditional 4th BBQ food, hot dogs, potato salad, corn on the cob, etc. but it wouldn't be the 4th for us without watermelon & "flag cake."


It wasn't really dark yet, but we did the sparklers then anyway - I didn't want a late night & they were quite happy with them.


Of course, anytime I'm in my garden with the camera ...


1 comment:

Tara said...

What's up Bek? Not worth diving into a crowded pool for $1.50. You're tough, I bet you could have got at least $2.

There are so many great activities where you live. I love the patriotic swimsuits.