8.03.2009

Rebekah's Summer

Rebekah is having a great summer!

It seems so strange to have her be busy doing teenager things. She seems old enough for it, but I don't feel old enough to be the mother of such a person!

I made a deal with her before summer began, that if she would babysit the kids while I went to the gym each morning, she could be free for the rest of each day. Of course, she still needs to do her regular jobs (her own laundry, weekend dishes, weeding the veggie garden, etc) and keep on top of her summer goals - but has most of the day available for other things.

She is taking Drivers Ed, which is every day. The days alternate between driving and class time. I haven't actually driven with her yet - but the day is fast approaching when we'll need to. I want her to have as much experience as possible before she takes her road test, but don't want her to drive much with the little kids in the car until she's had more experience.
Guess who's always in the car with us? You see the dilemma!
You need to be 17 1/2 in NY to take it, but can take it at 17 if you have taken drivers ed. I am VERY excited for her to take her road test in January and be able to drive herself to seminary!

She has also got a summer job. It's at a dessert place not far from home. The only bummer is that there's no public transport to or from there, and is too far to walk so driving her there & picking her up can sometimes conflict with other stuff we have going on.

She seems to be really liking her job, and is saving some money for college (whew!)

I took the kids to get ice cream one night, and took these pictures with my phone, She was mortified of course (we were the only customers there at the time.)
It's her first job - it has to be recorded!



She was also doing a summer theater program in the evenings - but was not enjoying it. She said it was kind of lame, and she would rather have more time available to work ($$$$), so I had no problem with her giving it up.

We love you Bek - you are amazing!

3 comments:

Michael said...

Sounds like Rebekah needs a car, but she probably can't afford one on her own. Maybe Mark can teach her how to write to her aunt's and uncle's looking for money to buy wheels. (You're welcome Bek!)

Tara said...

It'll be exciting when she can drive on her own. Also, love the blonde, although I was always jealous of her gorgeous dark hair.

Karen said...

Hahaha! I love Michael's comment. I remember that letter! Make sure you have some time to relax over the summer, Rebekah - you work so hard all year round.